What thickness,Titanium and steel?

Keith Willis

I have always used .07 Titanium for my linerlocks...I am wanting to go with something a little thinner...Would .04-.05 be ok?
What size screws do most use for small to mid size linerlock ....Frame screws,and handle screws
Also...what I am trying to accomplish is thinner knives,I have always used 1/8 1095...Is 1/8 the thinnest I can get 1095,if so
what other steel would you guys recommend,that is easily heat treated,and under 1/8....I may have to have it surface ground?

Thanks in advance for any help..

God bless,
Keith

For liner locks with a blade length of 3-1/2" or shorter I use .050 Ti, and I think you can get 3/32"1084 from Aldo.Frame screws 2-56 and handle scales 1-72.3/16" pivots from Chuck at AKS.
Stan

I think it's what you get used to. I use .050 and .040 thickness titanium in my liner locks and 2 X 56, and 0 X 80 screws. I buy from AKS, USA knifemaker Supply, and R.B. Johnson. They are all reliable But I do like the "Knifemaker" grade in titanium AKS sells. It's usually very scratch free. I like the .040 for folders about 2 3/4" blades or less. Frank

To add. My blades end up with thicknesses of say .082 - .145 made from carbon Damascus to stainless steels. I have learned to accurately thickness grind blade and back bar pieces without a surfacegrinder or milling machine. Frank

Thanks for all the advice...I took all of Stans advice,just got my pivots from the Boss..Thanks again

God bless

Back