What to do with my 84 layer billet?

SPAknives

Hey y'all,
I just forged a billet starting with 21 layers of 1095 & 15n20. I forged that out then cut into 4 pieces, restacked, and forge welded. It is currently about 8"long, 2"wide, and close to a 1/2" thick. I was thinking about squaring it and trying to do some W's but I'm not sure if I already have to many layers. I see that others have started with around 15 layers squares that and forge out the W' s then cut, restacked, and welded for higher layer count.
For some reason I was wanting something besides raindrop, or plain ladder pattern but not sure what else I can do from here.
What do y'all think I should make from it at this point? Any suggestions?
Thanks

I think you're too far along in the layer count for "W"s, but not enough for random, twist, ladder, etc. At this point, I'd say clean, cut into 4 equal pieces, then stack and reweld to achieve 336 layers..... then you'd be in the layer count for all the more common patterns.... random, twist, ladder, etc.

That sounds like a good plan! I will probably go that route and I should have enough steel for one raindrop billet, & one ladder billet. Then maybe I'll try the W's on the next one.
When I am ready to pattern the billets about how thick should I leave them before patterning?

When I am ready to pattern the billets about how thick should I leave them before patterning?
The typical set-up is, cut or drill 1/3 way through the billet on each side, staggering your cuts/drill holes. Make sure you chamfer the corners before final forging to minimize/avoid cold-shuts (the red).
Untitled.jpg
I showed 2 different options for the chamfering. Don't forget to consider how the billet will stretch out during your final forging and how this will affect the pattern.
Have fun.

Last edited:
The typical set-up is, cut or drill 1/3 way through the billet on each side, staggering your cuts/drill holes. Make sure you chamfer the corners before final forging to minimize/avoid cold-shuts (the red).
View attachment 77654
I showed 2 different options for the chamfering. Don't forget to consider how the billet will stretch out during your final forging and how this will affect the pattern.
Have fun.
Absolutely a golden nugget of info there! The more you chamfer the edges of the "holes", the less issues you will have. IF you forget, or don't know to do that, you are pretty much guaranteed that the majority of the hole edges will "fold" over when forging the billet flat..... and everywhere that happens will be a cold shut or delamination.

View attachment 77654
Have fun.
Thanks for this! I am thinking of trying Damascus for the first time this weekend and this is a helpful tip.

Back