What's going on in your shop?

Have you already experienced issue a with w2? I wouldn't be at all surprised.

I had one that looked good, but am unsure if it hardened consistently throughout, as I’m using a propane forge. I think the next one I try I’ll plan to grind after HT so I can test hardness on flat surface along the blade. Hoping to purchase an oven next year, so may have better results then.

I finally got around to making the utility Buschcraft knife that I had planned to make when I first started this addiction. Based off a condor blank I had kicking around but made to fit my big hands and the blade is thicker .187 O-1 tool steel, it’s sitting in the tempering oven for the first 2 hr tempering cycle at 400 degrees.

Attachments

• 4DBC1AE4-80B5-49A7-9487-E4BBB60BE5D3.jpeg
    4DBC1AE4-80B5-49A7-9487-E4BBB60BE5D3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
I finally got around to making the utility Buschcraft knife that I had planned to make when I first started this addiction. Based off a condor blank I had kicking around but made to fit my big hands and the blade is thicker .187 O-1 tool steel, it’s sitting in the tempering oven for the first 2 hr tempering cycle at 400 degrees.
I think it is a bushlore that I mimmicked but I can’t remember the name

I’m stuck on whether I should use one of these wood blocks or some G10

I’m stuck on whether I should use one of these wood blocks or some G10

Attachments

• 11100DCC-2E3C-4DE9-ACBD-AE12A9F1B87F.jpeg
    11100DCC-2E3C-4DE9-ACBD-AE12A9F1B87F.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 33
20+ Years of KMG History.....

It's hard to believe that it's been over 20 years since purchasing my fist KMG grinder. Well, yesterday, a new addition entered the family. The new KMG TX!! What a machine!

Once I can round up Tim, I plan on a video review, but for now, here's a pic...

IMG-4316.jpg

On the left is my heavily modified original KMG grinder. I've done a number of modifications, including changing it to a direct drive a couple of years ago. On the right (the white machine) is the new KMG TX machine. It's pretty much EVERYTHING that anybody could want in a knife grinder. Dual receivers for attachments, ratchet belt tension, Horizontal and vertical tilt, SUPER good tracking, and most important, and indicative of KMG machines.....a super heavy duty build quality. Now to go make some grinding dust....and get to know my new friend. :) More to come!!

It's hard to believe that it's been over 20 years since purchasing my fist KMG grinder. Well, yesterday, a new addition entered the family. The new KMG TX!! What a machine!

IMG-4316.jpg

On the left is my heavily modified original KMG grinder. I've done a number of modifications, including changing it to a direct drive a couple of years ago. On the right (the white machine) is the new KMG TX machine. It's pretty much EVERYTHING that anybody could want in a knife grinder. Dual receivers for attachments, ratchet belt tension, Horizontal and vertical tilt, SUPER good tracking, and most important, and indicative of KMG machines.....a super heavy duty build quality. Now to go make some grinding dust....and get to know my new friend. :) More to come!!
Congratulations!! I've heard a lot of good things about the new KMG. I new grinder is on my wishlist.

Did you notice how much lower the bench for the TX is versus the original KMG? I'm a stickler for proper grinder height, so I spend the entire day yesterday, basically cutting half that bench away, and rebuilding it to the correct height for the TX...... had to drop it 9"! Whew! :)

Did you notice how much lower the bench for the TX is versus the original KMG? I'm a stickler for proper grinder height, so I spend the entire day yesterday, basically cutting half that bench away, and rebuilding it to the correct height for the TX...... had to drop it 9"! Whew! :)
I agree that proper tool placement is of paramount importance. All of my shop tools are on stands made for my height ( 6'2" ). Makes them pretty awkward for other people to use !

I can relate! When students come, most of them have to stand on a "step stool" when grinding..... I have two different heights for them! Just threw together a couple of platforms out of 2x4s and 2x6s. :)

If chasing hamon is your goal, strike 1084 from your thoughts and process. Most any carbon steel will show some sort of differential hardening if you either edge quench (not really hamon) or glob some clay on the spine, quench it and etch it. That doesn't mean its suitable for hamon.

1084, 5160, 80crv2 and many others are not really steels suitable for hamon. But a lot if makers still throw some clay on there and quench it and call it hamon, in reality its not much different than an edge quench.
How does one go about producing a hamon without clay and is there a difference in a deferential heat treat line and a hamon? Serious question for my education. Thanks!

Last edited:

I really like the soft, different diameter wheels on your platten.. Will need to do that!

Made a file guide this morning, all these KITH projects got me wanting to try a hidden tang

Attachments

• 7BB3AAF0-37F9-4394-A41B-F9D513D242C5.jpeg
    7BB3AAF0-37F9-4394-A41B-F9D513D242C5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 980F7043-AA5D-4646-ADAE-B269E88FF518.jpeg
    980F7043-AA5D-4646-ADAE-B269E88FF518.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • FFFD65F0-7107-4A94-8B43-5E81B2B190A3.jpeg
    FFFD65F0-7107-4A94-8B43-5E81B2B190A3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Back