What's going on in your shop?

Love that blade shape and the handle material. I'm a sucker for green!
I can’t remember where I got the handle material. But someone on this forum used it and shared the source.
I like it. It finishes well. It does have a propensity to have a few voids.
Anyone else remember the source for this material?

No way! Ground to about .04" thick at the edge before HT. Spent another 3 hours or so post HT grinding. I took them up to a 16 micron belt and 1000 SIC belts, but didnt spend as much time at each belt, so they arent as shiny as the 5" ones I did. The blades are pretty flexy, more so than the 5" ones.

724F64D6-06FF-4F84-80DC-AB67F431E0FB.jpeg
Been monkeying around with this Bowie for about the last three weeks. Got the guard shaped and textured (silicon bronze) and a handle fit and rough shaped from a 45 year old piece of Heath burl. Gonna try to make the pommel and takedown nut tomorrow, then it’s just finishing. I finished the Magnacut blade up to 600, and I’m not sure weather I’ll take it to a full mirror or finish it off with a 600 grit satin finish. I think either would look good.

View attachment 83405
Been monkeying around with this Bowie for about the last three weeks. Got the guard shaped and textured (silicon bronze) and a handle fit and rough shaped from a 45 year old piece of Heath burl. Gonna try to make the pommel and takedown nut tomorrow, then it’s just finishing. I finished the Magnacut blade up to 600, and I’m not sure weather I’ll take it to a full mirror or finish it off with a 600 grit satin finish. I think either would look good.
Looks great! Seems pretty reflective right now... But I agree a satin finish would be nice on that one too.

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who works in crocs :D

Back