What's going on in your shop?

After a successful etch in the hydrochloric acid for the two stainless damascus blades I have been working on, I finished out the day by getting a load of handle wood blocks into the vacuum pot. There is some nice spalted eucalyptus in this lot.
gSLWdirl.jpg

Last edited:
Like Crocodile Dundy said "That's not a Knife!!" But they are knife related!! Couple pair of Easy-Tongs from Ken's Custom Iron. Not bad for first attempts. Well their functional!!

Attachments

• 20190611_140907-756x1008.jpg
    20190611_140907-756x1008.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 10
Like Crocodile Dundy said "That's not a Knife!!" But they are knife related!! Couple pair of Easy-Tongs from Ken's Custom Iron. Not bad for first attempts. Well their functional!!
My best tongs are simply a pair of pliers with some 1/2 in tube banged over the handles to give me more reach. I did make a coulpe of pair from flat bar that are very quick to do and very effective

I haven't done any leather work of any kind in a very long time. I also forgot how unforgiving leather work can be. So I kept this attempt simple. Left-handed sheath dyed black. I've had this leather for quite some time and it's absorbing the dye like a sponge. I'm going to let it sit overnight and apply another coat before I start putting it together.

Question. I only have Elmer's glue at the moment. Is that sufficient for a temporary bond when I drill the holes and stitch? Or should I make the 10 mile trip to Tandy's and get regular leather cement?

Question. I only have Elmer's glue at the moment. Is that sufficient for a temporary bond when I drill the holes and stitch? Or should I make the 10 mile trip to Tandy's and get regular leather cement?
I used to do a lot of leatherwork unrelated to knife sheaths and simple wood working glue works very well indeed. If that is what you have it will work for you with the only difference being that it is not a contact as you known and will have to be lightly clamped till it sets which does not take very long. Lightly rough up the face side of the welt to make bonding quicker

I used to do a lot of leatherwork unrelated to knife sheaths and simple wood working glue works very well indeed. If that is what you have it will work for you with the only difference being that it is not a contact as you known and will have to be lightly clamped till it sets which does not take very long. Lightly rough up the face side of the welt to make bonding quicker
That's what I thought. Thanks Von Gruff

Those sheaths look great! I'm guessing no one would be upset if you posted pictures of the knives in them either....

Back