What's going on in your shop?

Working on my first folder with the help of Chris Crawford of Chris Crawford's Knives. Chris' website. He does some amazing work and has been extremely generous with his time and knowledge. Check out his website for some very good tutorials. I know a few of you have made an etcher using the plans on his site. I've ordered a rise and fall indicator from Boss Dogg that should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to making progress on this.

I have your KITH knife sitting on my desk and I usually pick it up everyday. :)

I have OPaul’s on my desk and do the exact same thing.

6795-F2-E7-55-B1-4365-AB67-42-BF9-E03-CAA5.jpg

I worked on my platen today. I had made it from 1/2 in mild and in use for over 250+ knives it had developed a bit of a hollow where the bevels were ground and a groove where the profiling was done. I had bought a couple of the glass platens with the intention of using them but they are a bit short and would reduce the length for flat grinding so I took the mild to the engineers and got it milled back to flat and cut a length of 2 in wide by 5/32 1095 and drilled and tapped a 6mm hole each end of the mild and countersunk the matching holes in the 1095. I couldn't find machine screws to suit at the local general store so re-shaped the heads and re-did the thread of appropriate carriage bolts. I will harden the 1095 in the morning and quench for 8 seconds then finish it in the aluminium quench plate vice. No epoxy to get rid of when it comes time to replace. My friend here has had the same hardened D2 platen for near 30 years and has only just recently had to attend to it so I expect mine should have a reasonably good lifespan.

I built mine about 6 years ago and still going strong! Let us know how it turns out.

I will definitely let you know. I was missing two parts that I thought I had so didn’t get much done other than holes drilled in the case. Quick trip to RadioShack today and maybe I’ll get it done tonight after work.

Today’s work ready for HT. Both will be plungeless so I am not worried about the waves in the lines. Why plungeless? Because I can mainly but I wanted to experiment with looks a little.

Attachments

• A4D05F08-A9C3-4E46-9D06-9EBBE2A759F4.jpeg
    A4D05F08-A9C3-4E46-9D06-9EBBE2A759F4.jpeg
    790.7 KB · Views: 8
Back