What's going on in your shop?

Well time to tear down the little knife shop. I still remember hand filling the bevels in my first knife and when I could still park my truck in here. Time for the next chapter.
c16b4a395e17245a23e1d3730918251a.jpg

This one has be riding me for the better part of a year...
...finally getting close.

Adding the first of four twisted stainless wires.
24604743731_bd517bf73e_c.jpg

Erin

After sitting at the bandsaw most of the day yesterday...... time to get these accordion mosaic billets opened up and on their way to Blade Show knives!

This one has be riding me for the better part of a year...
...finally getting close.

Adding the first of four twisted stainless wires.
24604743731_bd517bf73e_c.jpg

Erin

Wow! How do you get the wire to stay in place when being handled by someone? I see the channels you made for the wire to lay in, but how does it stay in there?

Wow! How do you get the wire to stay in place when being handled by someone? I see the channels you made for the wire to lay in, but how does it stay in there?

A few years ago, Steve Culver (MS) did a WIP thread on BF for a quillon dagger with a fluted/twisted wire handle. If you're interested in the particulars, check out post #138 HERE. The whole thread is full of fantastic info, however, post #138 details the wire twisting and retention.

That being said, the wire is primarily held in place with tension. I think that this method really favors wire that is slightly more flexible/ductile; wire that can be more easily tensioned with the small tapered wedges in the holes beneath the butt cap. Most projects I've seen use gold or silver wire. I used soft stainless craft wire to match the 416SS fittings. The stiffer material, combined with the dropped shape to the handle, made tensioning a real pain in the rear. Because of that, I ended up adding a bed of Acraglas epoxy to the grooves for additional piece of mind.

This is my first attempt at a handle of this style, but so far so good. I'm in the process of final assembly this week, and it seems to be holding up well.

Erin

After sitting at the bandsaw most of the day yesterday...... time to get these accordion mosaic billets opened up and on their way to Blade Show knives!

Wow! Are all those triangles cut out with a bandsaw? That seems like a ton of work or else you've got a heck of a bandsaw. Do you reuse the cutouts for mosaics or something? Seems like a waste to remove that much material without it having some purpose.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer and link. I'd like to try something like this down the road.

A few years ago, Steve Culver (MS) did a WIP thread on BF for a quillon dagger with a fluted/twisted wire handle. If you're interested in the particulars, check out post #138 HERE. The whole thread is full of fantastic info, however, post #138 details the wire twisting and retention.

That being said, the wire is primarily held in place with tension. I think that this method really favors wire that is slightly more flexible/ductile; wire that can be more easily tensioned with the small tapered wedges in the holes beneath the butt cap. Most projects I've seen use gold or silver wire. I used soft stainless craft wire to match the 416SS fittings. The stiffer material, combined with the dropped shape to the handle, made tensioning a real pain in the rear. Because of that, I ended up adding a bed of Acraglas epoxy to the grooves for additional piece of mind.

This is my first attempt at a handle of this style, but so far so good. I'm in the process of final assembly this week, and it seems to be holding up well.

Erin

Anthony: There was a time when all the cutouts from billets like those would end up going to the scrapyard, but about a decade ago I started making my "Fossil" Damascus...... I put all the cutouts into a "can" (a piece of square tubing) and fill all the airspace with powdered steel. Cap it off, then into the forge! it's a lot of work, but it beats throwing nice steel away. :)

It is time consuming cutting all those triangles out..... but it not really that hard.... I use a 7x12 vertical/horizontal bandsaw..... I built a table and a seat for it. A 3/4" X 4-6 tooth blade cuts pretty quickly. Now..... if I used the portaband that is mounted in my finish shop....THAT would be an all day job! :)

Woohoo....man it was a a busy tense day yesterday. We put the house on the market at 9pm wednesday night. We had 9 showings on Thursday, we got 4 offers on it and after reviewing them we settled on the best one and signed the papers last night at 9:30 pm! We couldn't be happier and more excited for what the future holds for our family. just had to share.

Woohoo....man it was a a busy tense day yesterday. We put the house on the market at 9pm wednesday night. We had 9 showings on Thursday, we got 4 offers on it and after reviewing them we settled on the best one and signed the papers last night at 9:30 pm! We couldn't be happier and more excited for what the future holds for our family. just had to share.

That's great! Hope everything works out better than you hope. Ed

That's awesome Justin! You'll be back on your feet in no time!

One I just finished up, I haven't don't allot of mirror polished and I don't think I'll do many more, there just to easy to get scratched up!
24337134713_a1782ca7bf_b.jpg

That sure is a pretty knife Daniel!

Good for you Justin! That was fast! Sure didn't sit on the market long, did it?

Man, Daniel, that's a sweet little knife! I love your designs and this one is right up there. Great job.

I have to agree with you on mirror polishing blades. I know a lot of folks do a mirror finish, but as soon as they get a little scratch on it, and it will get scratched, the whole blade just looks terrible. A good satin finish looks much better for much longer. If corrosion resistance is a big deal then a mirror polish might be best, or maybe for a collectors piece, but if the knife is meant to be used, it's a nice satin finish for me. Just my take on the subject.

Man, Daniel, that's a sweet little knife! I love your designs and this one is right up there. Great job.

I have to agree with you on mirror polishing blades. I know a lot of folks do a mirror finish, but as soon as they get a little scratch on it, and it will get scratched, the whole blade just looks terrible. A good satin finish looks much better for much longer. If corrosion resistance is a big deal then a mirror polish might be best, or maybe for a collectors piece, but if the knife is meant to be used, it's a nice satin finish for me. Just my take on the subject.

Thanks Brandant! I feel pretty much the exact same...except I like a nice etched finish. At the end of the day, I think darn near everything about "finish"(Hamons, satin, paint job,whatever) on a knife will be lost after a life of good use. "fit" of everything should still be there though.

Daniel, that is one beautiful knife. I love the clean lines. Just classic, but I too am not a fan of mirror finishes. It does give it a certain WOW factor though. Keep up the good work.

Daniel, I hate to tell you this....

but if you keep turning out knives that pretty, mirror finish is going to be in high demand from your customers! That one's a jaw dropper!

That is fantastic, Justin. Less than 24 hours on the market?? Got your sights on the next one? Cuz if it were me, it would go something like this, "Hey babe, there's not time to look for a house- I didn't expect ours to sell so quick. But I found this 4000 sq ft manufacturing space and that's room for us to build out a corner to live in and I can put my grinders and stuff against the far wall."

That is fantastic, Justin. Less than 24 hours on the market?? Got your sights on the next one? Cuz if it were me, it would go something like this, "Hey babe, there's not time to look for a house- I didn't expect ours to sell so quick. But I found this 4000 sq ft manufacturing space and that's room for us to build out a corner to live in and I can put my grinders and stuff against the far wall."
Lol...the thought has crossed my mine. Yes 24 hours on the market, we are in a really good neighborhood with elementary within walking distance and the market I guess is moving crazy fast here in KC. We had another house on contingent upon contract on ours so we have things lined out baring any hiccups in the inspection and closing of ours. It has a huge unfinished basement with walk out so the wife said half of its mine for my knives and the other half is her gym.

Back