What's going on in your shop?

My blades are all A2...love that steel! But I see on some sites that guys don't care for the patina that develops since it's not a stainless. (with a fair amount of chromium it does take a while to show change) This morning I decided to try a quick experiment using Mark Lee Express browning #2 solution. I LOVE it...puts a forced patina that I think will last. What do you all think?

I did not clean the steel..just did a quick alcohol wipe...and there are a few spots that didn't "take"...but I think it is worth playing with a bit further.IMG_1932.jpgIMG_1935.jpgIMG_1937.jpgIMG_1947.jpg

hauserknife.com

My blades are all A2...love that steel! But I see on some sites that guys don't care for the patina that develops since it's not a stainless. (with a fair amount of chromium it does take a while to show change) This morning I decided to try a quick experiment using Mark Lee Express browning #2 solution. I LOVE it...puts a forced patina that I think will last. What do you all think?

I did not clean the steel..just did a quick alcohol wipe...and there are a few spots that didn't "take"...but I think it is worth playing with a bit further.

hauserknife.com

I've got some Birchwood Casey Plum Brown finish that's supposed to do the same thing I believe. I picked it up thinking it might be an interesting finish to use on steel spacers or guards.

A friend of mine brought me a knife (Bowie/sword) 2 days ago. His grandfather cut it out of a lumber saw blade 45 years ago and he found it cleaning out his dad's shed. It was rusted up pretty bad and had a brazed on brass guard and no handle. He asked me to try to salvage it for sentimental reasons. The blade is 14" long, 20" overall. I drilled holes in the tang (the metal was extremely hard to drill) and did a burn in through a bird's eye maple block. I added a purple heart spacer at the guard to get a better fit up and add some color. I sanded all the pits out and put a 400 grit buff on the blade. My little sander became overwhelmed by the size of the knife but fought through. I rough shaped, epoxied and pinned it yesterday evening and will be finishing it this weekend. That is what is going on in my shop. Which is really a camper spot down by the river.

Oh. And notice the thumbnail grooves his grandad put in the blade. I think he was looking at a pocket knife when he cut these out. LOL

IMG_1141[1].JPG

A friend of mine brought me a knife (Bowie/sword) 2 days ago. His grandfather cut it out of a lumber saw blade 45 years ago and he found it cleaning out his dad's shed. It was rusted up pretty bad and had a brazed on brass guard and no handle. He asked me to try to salvage it for sentimental reasons. The blade is 14" long, 20" overall. I drilled holes in the tang (the metal was extremely hard to drill) and did a burn in through a bird's eye maple block. I added a purple heart spacer at the guard to get a better fit up and add some color. I sanded all the pits out and put a 400 grit buff on the blade. My little sander became overwhelmed by the size of the knife but fought through. I rough shaped, epoxied and pinned it yesterday evening and will be finishing it this weekend. That is what is going on in my shop. Which is really a camper spot down by the river.

Oh. And notice the thumbnail grooves his grandad put in the blade. I think he was looking at a pocket knife when he cut these out. LOL

View attachment 69680
Looks good. I'm sure your friend will greatly appreciate you being able to save it for him. Nice job!

View attachment 69680
Nice save!

Some latest pics of the MezzaChete- just need a final clean up and polish of the blade and handle- -- also- link to the cut test on this blade. It performed well.

AEB-L with Cyro- 12 inch OAL
7 inch Blade- with aggressive Gimping
CF pins and Copper lanyard tube
Yellow Fiber liners
Customer Supplied the 100 year old Wormy Chestnut to use here.

MezzaChete 1.jpgMezzaChete 2.jpgMezzaChete 3.jpg

Just adding pieces of my soul to the scrap bin. I know it’s part of learning and growing but my scrap bin represents countless hours of “learning” and it is mildly depressing and discouraging CE102431-0AC2-406F-A1E3-B3D7D3B31EA8.jpegB9C53646-DE58-4B6F-BBB3-A535BFE29FDD.jpegCE102431-0AC2-406F-A1E3-B3D7D3B31EA8.jpeg55064436-6FE4-4E39-90B3-68598BB73E6E.jpeg06920622-F853-4EAD-9149-3DAF55CD7312.jpeg

Attachments

• 3E5ACCBD-CDF2-46BC-980F-D3D0A55175BB.jpeg
    3E5ACCBD-CDF2-46BC-980F-D3D0A55175BB.jpeg
    847.4 KB · Views: 2
Just adding pieces of my soul to the scrap bin. I know it’s part of learning and growing but my scrap bin represents countless hours of “learning” and it is mildly depressing and discouraging View attachment 69709View attachment 69710View attachment 69709View attachment 69708View attachment 69711
Failure is a great learning tool in how to be successful. Figure out what went wrong and make corrections. Try again. I don't have a scrap bin I have a scrap drum. Don't let it bother you. Hang in there and you'll see your products and skills improve. If you're not failing you're not trying.

Failure is a great learning tool in how to be successful. Figure out what went wrong and make corrections. Try again. I don't have a scrap bin I have a scrap drum. Don't let it bother you. Hang in there and you'll see your products and skills improve. If you're not failing you're not trying.
Mine is a surplus green steel barrel, courtesy of Uncle Sam

Back