What's going on in your shop?

Was shaping a handle on the OSS and must have got the mosaic pins too hot... The internals started sliding out. Grrrrrr....#@$@#! Don't do that.
Super glue it and call it a practice knife I guess.

Was shaping a handle on the OSS and must have got the mosaic pins too hot... The internals started sliding out. Grrrrrr....#@$@#! Don't do that.
Super glue it and call it a practice knife I guess.

You can fix the mosaics as long as they aren't broken. Put them back in the tube, mix up some epoxy, color it (lots of choices), then put a piece of tape over one end of the pin and fill from the other side. It will be slow going.

If you happen to have a brake bleeder kit you can use the vacuum to slurp the epoxy into the tube, then tape off both ends and let it cure. When I make mosaics that's how I make the whole tube. It does the best job of avoiding any air pockets. That won't matter as much in this case as the pins are already in the knife.

Ow, yeah all that hand stitching makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it. I like the maple burl as well it always looks great on a handle.

Been doin some filing. Still got one on the file jig. Think I melted some files! BTW, here's a tip : if you are hand filing and keep getting shards of metal caught in the file teeth and then get the subsequent galling on your blade, stop and clean your file real well, then run it over a chalk source. Sheetrock works fine. once the teeth are covered with chalk, file away. No more galling of your blade.DSC01763.JPG
Hey, John Wilson....recognize anything of your design ?

Last edited:
Been doin some filing. Still got one on the file jig. Think I melted some files! BTW, here's a tip : if you are hand filing and keep getting shards of metal caught in the file teeth and then get the subsequent galling on your blade, stop and clean your file real well, then run it over a chalk source. Sheetrock works fine. once the teeth are covered with chalk, file away. No more galling of your blade.View attachment 77415
Hey, John Wilson....recognize anything of your design ?
Nice! Looks like you could give Gene a run for his money.

ah ha, grasshopper...you speak the truth. perhaps this is why I cannot catch up to his prodigious output. I may have to tack a different tack rather than stay on this heading. I fear that I may be headed for the rocks !!!

A couple of knives finished this week. The first one is a small skinner. Alabama Damascus with desert ironwood scales. Black liners and brass pins. Was made for an auction to help the family of a friend who recently passed.
clay1e.jpg

The next one I'm kinda proud of. It's my first Chef's knife. I've had a lot of requests for kitchen knives so it looks like I will be making more of these. ABE-L stainless with maple and resin handle. Black liners with nickel silver pins.

ck3e.jpg

ck2e.jpg

ck1e.jpg

A couple of knives finished this week. The first one is a small skinner. Alabama Damascus with desert ironwood scales. Black liners and brass pins. Was made for an auction to help the family of a friend who recently passed.
View attachment 77417

The next one I'm kinda proud of. It's my first Chef's knife. I've had a lot of requests for kitchen knives so it looks like I will be making more of these. ABE-L stainless with maple and resin handle. Black liners with nickel silver pins.

View attachment 77418

View attachment 77419

View attachment 77420
Nice kitchen knife....but that handle! Amazing!

Back