What's going on in your shop?

This one is called “Brother”. Customer commissioned it for a wedding present. One family name in Long Branch runes on one side, the other family name on the other. Tied together with “brother” on the copper wrap. The copper patina got toned down from blue to green when I applied a sealer to it. Need to find another product that maintains that blue.

FDE2B1D8-DC44-4813-AD8B-901B261C1C1D.jpegB08CB994-3D3A-48DF-8321-D482B00B00B1.jpeg1AC861EE-B710-4802-AC57-5B3ADCD92584.jpeg

Good looking knife, Daniel.
How do you finish out your G-Carta?
I like the material but sometimes I have a hard time getting a nice finish.
I usually finish at 1,200 and do a light coat of tru oil. What sucks with this material is scratches are as stubborn as any material I have ever worked with so I try and make sure I have a clean 220 off the grinder before hand sanding. If you look closely you can see a few spots on the handle I need to go back and redo.

This one is called “Brother”. Customer commissioned it for a wedding present. One family name in Long Branch runes on one side, the other family name on the other. Tied together with “brother” on the copper wrap. The copper patina got toned down from blue to green when I applied a sealer to it. Need to find another product that maintains that blue.

View attachment 77492View attachment 77493View attachment 77494
I like that a lot, I have been trying to finish my axes I forge with that Patina but haven't figured it out yet, do you use a wire brush on a grinder to knock the scale off? It looks really nice the way you finish that. I do not care for the sanded finish I get on mine when I use a scotch brite belt to clean off the scale. I had considered soaking in degreaser and scrubbing then acid washing it?

I like that a lot, I have been trying to finish my axes I forge with that Patina but haven't figured it out yet, do you use a wire brush on a grinder to knock the scale off? It looks really nice the way you finish that. I do not care for the sanded finish I get on mine when I use a scotch brite belt to clean off the scale. I had considered soaking in degreaser and scrubbing then acid washing it?
I don't forge mine, so I don't deal with scale. I put the axe head in ferric chloride for 5-10 minutes to start. Then put it in straight plain bleach for 10-15 minutes or so. It will rust immediately and create that antiqued look. You can vary the time to achieve the desired effect and repeat as necessary. This one I used longer times in the bleach (20 minutes I think) and repeated about 3 times. When it comes out of the bleach, I wire brush it in my dip bucket, and wet sand a bit with 220 grit or so to bring out some highlights on the edges and whatever design I've worked into it. I have yet to try it on a knife blade, but have a Bowie project in mind where I might.

Hello all. I finally decided to spend the money on a TIG setup for prepping pattern welded billets without adding any outside metals, so I had to teach myself how to use it. Here's a picture of 5 pieces of 15N20 ground clean, TIG welded around the perimeter and ready to forge weld into a solid billet.

20210320_161924.jpg

Does anyone know if heat oxidation colors that are most likely in all the layers like the outside will prevent the welding of the layers?

Glued up three Bowies last night and ran them out to the sheath Maker. 2 of them are sold and the third is Genes KITH...the 4th is my prototype ugly duckling(not glued...take down so I can try new ideas on it.)...which I will wear.

Feels good to finally have some knives headed out the door again! This hidden tang project threw me a lot of curve balls...but it was my first attempt at these....

IMG_0648.jpgIMG_0653.jpg

I really like this knife. I've never seen that kind of micarta before. It's real interesting and quite eye catching. Nice work all the way around.

Glued up three Bowies last night and ran them out to the sheath Maker. 2 of them are sold and the third is Genes KITH...the 4th is my prototype ugly duckling(not glued...take down so I can try new ideas on it.)...which I will wear.

Feels good to finally have some knives headed out the door again! This hidden tang project threw me a lot of curve balls...but it was my first attempt at these....

View attachment 77568View attachment 77569
That's impressive right there Ted! they look great.

Don’t think I ever posted finished pictures of this one so here they are. Big thanks to @John Wilson thanks to his tips I’m finally slowly getting my handles where I want them. This one still wasn’t perfect but it’s getting there. Maddening how sloppy my work is sometimes. Only one person to blame for that!
E05577B2-D362-4FA9-8A85-B45BCB65D224.jpeg570789EA-E4A1-4E79-B2C0-3C3A43A09583.jpeg

Bruce, these are seriously beautiful. Takes a knife to a whole new level. Have you considered doing a step-by-step, maybe starting with the simplest pattern, not that any of them look all that simple. Really beautiful.
thanks. it is always rewarding to see that someone appreciates ones work . I did a WIP https://knifedogs.com/threads/basic-filework.50420/
if that doesn't answer all your questions, please feel free to PM me.

Back