What's your first name?

Rock

When I was in the military, almost everyone called each other by their last name. It always seemed distant, impersonal, and dehumanizing to me. One of the few things about serving that I inherently disliked. You called your buddies either by their first name or a nickname. The nicknames were often far from flattering!

I love the feeling of true community here, but usernames can throw you for a loop. We find ourselves unknowingly thinking of each other by one's dog or horse's name or worse!

We are all concerned about personal security, identity theft, and stalkers. I don't think we would be putting ourselves at a high risk by re-introducing ourselves and sharing our first names, for anyone who feels comfortable doing so. If your username obviously contains your first name, or you aren't interested, feel free to pass.

My nickname has been Rock for nearly thirty years, but my first name is Dave. I posted my real name, Dave Cowles, when I first introduced myself on KnifeDogs. There are a lot of Daves on KnifeDogs, so Rock will work just fine!

KnifeDogsSimplifiedSmallani.gif

Last edited:
Well,it says Jon
on my birth certificate,and my momma called me
"Jonathan" when she found sumthin' I broke...:rolleyes:
But folks have called me Wolf since I was 14.
Nice to meet ya Dave!;)

My name everyone knows but this is a good idea Dave. Who in there right mind would stalk a knifemaker2guns. Oh yah those people are not in there right minds:eek:.

Cheers Bob

... user names can throw you for a loop. We find ourselves unknowingly thinking of each other by one's dog or horse's name or worse!
That would be me!!!LOL I use my horses name because it allows me use in a forum, without trying to figure out a "Unique name".

My nickname has been Rock for nearly thirty years, but my first name is Dave. There are a lot of Daves on KnifeDogs, so Rock will work just fine!

Mine is Mel.

Name's Erin... that's right, spelled E R I N. Probably why I build knives, lift weights and ride motorcycles... compensating. Thanks again mom and dad. :D

I'm going to break cover for the first time on the Net...

Sean is my first name. More common than it used to be. Lots of Sean's out there now, so I don't feel quite as paranoid about it as I used to. When I was a kid the only other person with the name of Sean was Sean Connery.

Now I've just dated myself too. :eek:

My name is Gary Dukeman. Anyone looking to steal my indentity will soon find out it ain't worth the effort.

no worries Sean,I think there's a few of us here who remember when the planet still had that New Dirt Smell...:D

I'm going to break cover for the first time on the Net...

Sean is my first name. More common than it used to be. Lots of Sean's out there now, so I don't feel quite as paranoid about it as I used to. When I was a kid the only other person with the name of Sean was Sean Connery.

Now I've just dated myself too. :eek:

I know exactly how you feel, been called s-e-e-n all my life.
For those of you who may not know, Sean is Irish version of John. In the U.S. it is usually spelled Shawn.

My first name is James, everyone calls me Jim (JAT)
(Mat) is for Margaret A. Todd, the love of my life for 48 years now, been married 45 this coming June 9. :eek:

Matt pretty common too I guess.

Either that or Fletch will work online. I've gotten fairly used to that name.

Last edited:
Anyone looking to steal my indentity will soon find out it ain't worth the effort.

I hear that brother! Remember the Y2K panic?? Heck, I was hopin' all the computers would go blank, I had nothin' to lose ;)

An old roomate of mine had a t-shirt that said, "that's MISTER (cussword) to you, buddy!!" :D

I understand both sides of the "real name" - "not real name" thing online. This and two other knife forums, and related vendors I trust, are the only places I use my real name and personal email address.

What's in a name? My mother named me Jamie when I was born. While that's a pretty common masculine name in the Old World, where I grew up it was considered a girl's name. I bloodied many a nose growing up because certain doofuses insisted on teasing me about it. Sorta like "The Boy Named Sue". Got pretty old, frankly. Both the name-calling and the fighting. I wasn't raised to prove my point with my fists, and losing my temper made me feel bad.

When Mom remarried, my step-dad stepped up and adopted me. Gave me both his last name and the choice to legally change my first name to
James, because he and Mom knew I was tired of fighting about it. He's my REAL Dad, for many other reasons as well. :) May he rest in peace,
I aspire to live up to all he taught me.

One pet-peeve is when I introduce myself as James and people call me Jim, Jimmy, Jimbo, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with those names! But listen man, if I wanted to be called Jim, I'da said "I'm Jim"! ;)

Sorry if I'm rambling, it's kind of a personal subject with me. :)

Last edited:
Back