Which Sandvik steel & why?

Which grade of Sandvik stainless steel makes the best blade and why? I have used 13c26 and like it but it only comes in thin gauges. 12C27 & 19C27 comes in heavier gauges but I have not tried them. Which of the latter two are better and why?

I'd really like to hear more on this from those here who have experience with these steels. I think many of us CPM users are looking for other good alternatives when our stockpile runs out. I have read on different forums about all three and some of what I have read contradicts what Sandvik suggests. I am confused.
-John

Which grade of Sandvik stainless steel makes the best blade and why? I have used 13c26 and like it but it only comes in thin gauges. 12C27 & 19C27 comes in heavier gauges but I have not tried them. Which of the latter two are better and why?

Were did you found thicker 12C27 i have looked everywere. Sandvik dont cut smaller sheats of 5 mm 12C27 have i heard.
I have only used thinner 12C27 but i prefer AEB-L i think AEB-L is a little easyer to HT. And the 12C27 sheats is often croocked or bend.
I dont know if its so much differences betven them other then the carbon content. Sandvik steels are very clean.

Seved

I have HEARD

but cant confirm

that

12c27 is kinda the stainless version of 5160 if ht is right

13c26 and 19c27 are kinda the 52100 of stainless

Seved, Barker

Great looking knives guys...

seved..Admiral sells 12c27 in 3/16" but that is it...needs to be a little thicker IHO
I do know that Mike Stewart reallyy really likes 12c27 and he seems to know a little about blades :)

Yes i agree. Its 0,6% carbon in 12c27 and its a good non powdersteel for choopers i think.
Its the same with 13c27, 19c27 and 52100 i guess.
Thanks leatherface :D i am glad you like my knives. I looked at John Barkers knives. They are realy nice. Just the kind of knives i like.2thumbs
Yes i have seen the steel at admiralsteel the 3/16 is very near 5 mm so i maybe order it for choopers if cant find thicker.
Yes Mike Stewart realy know a thing or two about knives :) and he is not alone to like 12c27 here in Sweden its a popular steel and i think its pretty popular in US to.

Seved

Seved, admiral is the source I was referring to. As far as I know they are the only distributor here in USA. Very interesting to hear them compared to well respected steels such as 5160 & 52100.

Okey i see. Its sad that they dont cut 5 mm steel anymore.

Seved

Seved
IIRC Mike offered to buy 12c27 or 13c26 by the ton if Sandvik would run it thicker

they said no

Bummer really

12c27 in 1/4" would be some nice stuff and 13c26 would be HOT in 3/16"

Back