Why do we do this?

LR Adkins

I'm sitting here relaxing after a day in the cold shop wondering why I do this. I ran out of fuel oil so my shop is cold ( can't afford to buy more right now ) but I went there anyway.
I warmed the shop a little by using my forge for awhile, then ground some blades, then started hand sanding blades that have been waiting to be finished for awhile.
Then it happened, a careless move and I ran my thumb up the blade while sanding it. Four stitches later I'm home taking it easy thinking about the next new design.
All of this while nursing third degree burns on the palm of my hand from a welding accident a few days before.
This is a hard and dangerous occupation or hobby but we go back to it with a smile because we love it.
There is nothing like taking a raw piece of steel and making a beautiful work of art for people to admire.
We are blacksmiths, artists, heat treat experts, metallurgists, woodcarvers, and many more things.
I guess I'm taking a long time to say I admire every one of you dogs for your dedication to the art.
Thank you

Larry, know what you mean! Had foot surgery 8 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago the Doc let me out of bed as long as I stayed off my feet. So...

...I had the family set me up a small table in the family room with part of my leather tools so I could catch up on some sheath making. 22 sheaths and 7 holsters later I'm still working on my leather stuff. Can't wait to get back to forging!

Glad to see I'm not the only overly hooked maker !

rps20141201_142753.jpg

Hope you get better soon!

i'm sure we could have a trained shrink tell us a long winded analysis of desire to hurt ourselves blended with an urge to create etc…

I've had two trigger fingers done and I just went through Carpet Tunnel & Cubital Tunnel surgery on my left arm a month or two back and will have to get the right arm done in the new year and several scars on my hands and a nice one in the middle of my right foot where I darn near staked my foot into the floor when a 11" Bowie blade I was working on slide off a table and went point down into my foot.

I can sum it up in one word for myself. PASSION! Passion to make knives and to make each one better than the last.

I hear you Larry, yesterday, somehow I snapped a band saw blade and it flew out and smacked me across the palm of my hand. Didn't really know I was injured because luckily it hit me in the flat direction(or so I thought). Then I noticed the blood drops on the shop floor, puncture wound right where the thumb connects to the hand. Now, my whole hand is swollen and I can barely move the thumb, thank GOD for ice. No infection so it will heal in time. Good luck with your injury and keep grinding!

Wayne

Ya'll full time makers have a real passion. As one of my retirement hobbies, I just tell my wife "It's cheaper than hanging out in bars or playing golf!"

Ken

The injury list is long for a lot of us who like to make things and fix stuff .. I work with my hands in both my real job and my knifemaking . There is not a week that goes by that I don't have some sort of hand injury or getting wacked somehow or somewhere . It all in good fun though.

There's something magical happens when I open the door to my shop. Immediately I relax and can't wait to get to work ( play ).

Knife making is only one of the things I enjoy doing but it is at the top of my list. My wife thinks I'm crazy because I take blood thinners and play with sharp things. What can I say.

I have enjoyed reading all your posts. Makers be safe.

This week I started grinding a few blades for a 3 knife order. That was the original plan anyways.. Then I went on a grinding spree..
Shaping, rough grinding, heat treating and finish grinding 15 blades!! One of which is a 21" long chopper. Thats like grinding a couple knives all in one! .

My hands are a bit thrashed. and my back is a little sore. But, Man! The feeling as I look at all these blades and the pile of steel dust on the shop floor. makes me smile! :)

I, like many here. Have got it. and I mean.. I got it bad! Its a sickness. or a passion or a obsession... Or a combination of all of these and more. Truthfully, I love it and wouldn't want it any other way! I hope your cut heals fast and you get back out in the shop soon!

Blessings
Randy

Last edited:
Back