Wife's Chef knife

KenH

Since I consider myself a "newer knifemaker", I'll post a couple of photos of my latest build here. The wife picked handle material from what I had on hand. A block of African Blackwood (hard like Ebony - Thanks Mark), a bit of pre-ban ivory for the spacer, and spalted pecan from a tree cut a few yr back and stabilized with Cactus Juice. The blade is 14C28N with a final Rc of 59. Just a 800 grit finish on the blade. My photos are not too good, but perhaps you can tell what's going on.

Side-2.jpg
I had to prop up on angle to get reflection off blade. The hen is her "Little Red" that got ate by an owl last yr. She wants the hen on all her knives - just won't fit on paring or steak knife set.

Inside_Handle.jpg
This is the shape she likes her handles - got to keep "the Boss" happy.

Comments welcome.

Ken H>

Attachments

• Side-1.jpg
    Side-1.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 63
Thanks Calvin - while my stuff isn't anywhere up to the standards of "real" knife makers like you and others in the group, they have improved over the last yr or so.

Ken H>

You have done well on the blade shape, the coke bottle handle and the nice looking handle materials. As far as the Hen logo size goes.
I have my avatar as my logo and these folks make them in three sizes for me to fit large Chef to small paring knives.

http://www.ecemmi.com/products.html

These folks are one of the first two to make these stencils for aerospace and knife making.

Thanks for the nice words on the handle George.

Laurence, you mention the logo size - On paring knifes I just put my name and maybe steel alloy. I use a CNC machine to engrave the logo so am able to make it any size I wish. I got the Sandvik-14C28N in larger letters than I planned. Looked ok on computer screen, but after engraving it seems a bit large. Hey, maybe I need to make an image for "Little Red" and use that as my avatar.

I've been thinking of trying some electro-etching, but the CNC works pretty good.

Coke Bottle handles - I'd not thought of them as that, but a quick search turns up a good bit of info. I learn something new everyday {g}

Ken H>

Back