Wilton Square Wheel

Chris Martin

Tell me how you like your Wilton Square Wheels. Pics a plus!!!

I have a lead on one for VERY cheap and really considering it. It is the old school model and comes with flat platen and small wheel attach. I know Ed modded his and is a very sturdy and reliable machine. If I do get it, I may put a 2HP motor on it and replace the drive wheel as Ed did to slow it down. Will most likely ad a VFD once the funds permit.

Anyway, post away and again...pics a plus!

Thanks Dogs.

Chris

Chris,

I have a Square Wheel that will be 20 years old this fall. It has been an excellent machine! At the time it was probably the most popular grinder among knifemakers. The Burr King was possibly better - it certainly was quieter. The Bader was and is a good machine. But the SW was and still is a great machine.

I have had to replace the on/off switch several times over the years. Just did it on Tuesday. They seem to last about 2 years. I did replace my standard 8" wheel 3 years ago because the rubber was worn and torn in a couple of places. Other than things like some bearings everything else is original.

At the time I bought the machine I also bought a small wheel attachment to hold 3/4 and 5/8 diameter wheels. I'd certainly recommend this attachment. I also added my own steel wear plate to the platen. However, I'm thinking of replacing it with a glass plate as Ed did. I have not replaced the drive wheel to slow it down. Mine still runs full speed!

I have the original 1HP motor. I have never used a variable speed grinder so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. However, those who do have them love them. If you can afford to replace the motor with a variable speed one, do it. Just be sure to get the proper motor and controller.

I have attached some images showing the various attachments in use. Note the use of my jigs, primarily my hands and the multi function organic tool rest! :D

Because this is a used machine you're looking at, be sure to check your bearings and replace them as needed. Look for worn tires on the contact wheels. Make sure your drive and idler wheels are running true. I recommend you keep your guards in place. And consider Ed's mods, especially the platen wear plate.

David

Attachments

• BillsSH7.jpg
    BillsSH7.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 72
  • BillsSh25.jpg
    BillsSh25.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 66
  • BillsSH31.jpg
    BillsSH31.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 69
  • BillsSH32.jpg
    BillsSH32.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 72
  • BillsSH33.jpg
    BillsSH33.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 71
Chris everyone that I have talk to that owns a square wheel loves them. I tried to talk one maker out of his and I am sure he is still laughing. I talked to Jeff Pierce about his and he loves it. If you do get it pics are a must.

David,

Thanks for taking time to share your experience and what to look for prior to buying this WSW. I will be sure to ask a lot of questions...I wont be able to see it before buying.....But I think a little hands on should square it up either way!

I had to look at your website......Oustanding work, David. I had a bad case of jaw-drop the entire visit:D

Thanks again for the info buddy. I hope to have it soon, might even paint it!

Chris

Chris,

I have a Square Wheel that will be 20 years old this fall. It has been an excellent machine! At the time it was probably the most popular grinder among knifemakers. The Burr King was possibly better - it certainly was quieter. The Bader was and is a good machine. But the SW was and still is a great machine.

I have had to replace the on/off switch several times over the years. Just did it on Tuesday. They seem to last about 2 years. I did replace my standard 8" wheel 3 years ago because the rubber was worn and torn in a couple of places. Other than things like some bearings everything else is original.

At the time I bought the machine I also bought a small wheel attachment to hold 3/4 and 5/8 diameter wheels. I'd certainly recommend this attachment. I also added my own steel wear plate to the platen. However, I'm thinking of replacing it with a glass plate as Ed did. I have not replaced the drive wheel to slow it down. Mine still runs full speed!

I have the original 1HP motor. I have never used a variable speed grinder so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. However, those who do have them love them. If you can afford to replace the motor with a variable speed one, do it. Just be sure to get the proper motor and controller.

I have attached some images showing the various attachments in use. Note the use of my jigs, primarily my hands and the multi function organic tool rest! :D

Because this is a used machine you're looking at, be sure to check your bearings and replace them as needed. Look for worn tires on the contact wheels. Make sure your drive and idler wheels are running true. I recommend you keep your guards in place. And consider Ed's mods, especially the platen wear plate.

David

James,

Thanks pardner. I hope I get it man. I hear even with the 1HP it still takes that steel off!

Hope Jeff will post some pics of his again soon. Only one I can find is the Worlds Best Grinder thread. I know he got a steel on it!

What are you doing online...you should be wiring that shop up!

Chris
Chris everyone that I have talk to that owns a square wheel loves them. I tried to talk one maker out of his and I am sure he is still laughing. I talked to Jeff Pierce about his and he loves it. If you do get it pics are a must.

i like mine.

1362_008935_x_702.jpg

Last edited:
I have two. An Olympic I bought new in 1978, and a Wilton I bought used. Both are fine machines, and are used daily. You do NOT need more than the 1 horse motor they come with. I have never bogged either of these down. Not even a little bit! I don't think you could if you tried.

Thats what I like to hear! I am still heavily debating this!!!! Still waiting on him to get back with me on shipping etc.

Thanks for the input guys!

Chris

I have two. An Olympic I bought new in 1978, and a Wilton I bought used. Both are fine machines, and are used daily. You do NOT need more than the 1 horse motor they come with. I have never bogged either of these down. Not even a little bit! I don't think you could if you tried.

I have used one since 1991. There is not a lot that you can't do with one. It to me was so versatile with the flat platten and the 8 inch sereated wheel. It will eat steel like nobodies business. Never have even slowed it down no matter what I do to it. Get it.

Mike,

Thanks buddy! That is what I am after.....A steel hogging beast of a grinder. Until I get the tricked out KMG anyway.

I am still waiting to hear back from the guy....I am starting to wonder if shipping may be an issue? We shall see. I just need a new grinder, or should I say...need and want2thumbs

Hope all is good, Mike.

Chris

I have used one since 1991. There is not a lot that you can't do with one. It to me was so versatile with the flat platten and the 8 inch sereated wheel. It will eat steel like nobodies business. Never have even slowed it down no matter what I do to it. Get it.

Thanks for all the input on the WSW.

I am going to pass on it......Tracy was right...I am better off going with a pulley system again until I can go VFD. The pulleys will do my just fine for now. After all my Cooter 2 wheel handled ok with them. Now its time for an upgrade.

Thanks again everyone...But I am going NWG2thumbs2guns

Chris

Back