WIP Presentation box set

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
I have another interesting project that I am starting to work through the details on. The gunshop owner at the top of the South Isand who carries my knives has asked me to make a presentation box to carry a 1911 with 2 mags, 10 rounds of ammo and my Pocket Ranger knife in the random pattern damascus and sheath. The box will have the 1911, the knife and the 10 45acp rounds in the top tray with the two magazines and the knife sheath in the lower part of the box with maybe some more ammo.
He wants it to be themed as the Malon Labe set so I will get some brass discs with the iconic helmet engraved on it and seria numbered and inlet one into the knife handle, one into the pistolgrip and the third into the top of the presentation box. I have got some Indonesian ebony on the way for the knife handle and 1911 grips but not sure what wood I will make the box from yet but it will be lined with the same blue that I background my knives on as it really shows them up well. There will be another brass label on the inside of the lid with my details and a smaller one with the shop name and location on it . For those that are not ordered through the shop I will just have my own brass lable in its place. I will get a heatable stamp made with my 3 pin mark in a circle and burn it into the lid over the brass label.
He wants 3 to start with but I imagine that the major gun forum I have an extensive thread running on will possibly generate some interest as well

I am seeing the engravers on tuesday to discuss that side of the project. I want to get the handles and grips checkered and having tried to do this when I was building rifle stocks I know it is something that I will get an experienced checkerer to do.

That sounds like a good commission. Some of what you said is over my head, but I can't wait to see it finished. May God give your hands skill and your mind wisdom as you design and build it.

Gruff,,,,,,,,,,
I want your autograph. Send it to my house. You are getting 'way" to popular. Make sure you post plenty of pics.

Gruff,,,,,,,,,,
I want your autograph. Send it to my house. You are getting 'way" to popular. Make sure you post plenty of pics.
Lets wait on the fame untill these are done and halfway presentable. We all know how a project can turn to custard at the least provocation and there are many facets to this one that can trip me up.

Von Gruff I see a fantastic opportunity for one fine WIP!! Waiting to see this one!! The two tier box may open some challenges but it will definitely be unique!! Carry on man, I am waiting to see this one come to life!!

Von Gruff I see a fantastic opportunity for one fine WIP!! Waiting to see this one!! The two tier box may open some challenges but it will definitely be unique!! Carry on man, I am waiting to see this one come to life!!
Thanks Clif. I am still working through design stages and was thinking that if I add the knife sheath then there has to be a holster for the 1911 and that is starting to crowd what should be a simple display case so it may be that I leave out the sheath and then I can do the pistol, knife 2 mags and ammo on the one layer.

that's knife related and I'd like to see what you come up with so post here if you can also.
t

that's knife related and I'd like to see what you come up with so post here if you can also.
t
Will do Tracy. I am seeing the engravers this morning and going over what I need with the Malon Labe helmet on a 18mm disc to be inlet into the ebony knife handle, 1911 grip and the box lid. Another two brass tags on the underside of the lid with one having the gun shop details and the other having mine. My makers mark will go there as well. I am going to make the box from Marcocarpa (also known as Monterey Cypress) and line it with the blue material I often use in the pics of my knives. I have decided not to do a sheath for the knife as I would also have to do a holster for the 1911 and there are so many different types and preferences that it would probaby not suite most of the end users. I can do the sheath as required but many will see this as a display knife rather than a user so it will more than likely not be carried
UxIRqqZm.jpg

Back