Wood species???????????

Keith Willis

Not sure the pic is good enough or not,but was hoping someone could tell me what species wood this may be.
It favors,the Rosewood that I was working with,but just not sure.
Thanks for any help.

God bless,Keith

Attachments

• 132.jpg
    132.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 54
Thanks guys,
I have several pieces of Cocobolo,that doesn't have that figure to it.
Would you call it figured Cocobolo?

God bless,Keith

Could it be Bocote? I have some that is very close to that color and figure. Just a guess.
Dale

I may be wrong, but it looks like quarter sawn cocobolo. But figured works as a description.. Possibly a better picture with say a red lighter or a new penny in the photo for color reference. !! :)

Keith,
JDW might be right.....
I seem to remember I sent you some of my zig zag bocote a while ago. It looks familliar to the stuff I have here.

Rudy

I'm not sure Rudy.This come from Bruce Myers,a long while back.I tried to call Him,
but don't get him,I haven't seen him on the forum in a while either.
This was a small piece,that wasn't labeled,the rest was Rosewood,Cocobolo,and a little Ironwood.
I do like the looks of it.Thanks guys

God bless,Keith

Looking closely at the photo I would say by the grain and sheen that my guess would be Ironwood. Rosewood would not normally have that much variation and would tend to be more purplish in tone.
Cocobolo would exhibit a much more defined contrast and detail and exhibit a definite orange tone. Bocote wood would not have this coloration. Even rare Brazalian Rosewood would not have that coloration. In my opinion the "oxidized" sheen and wide spacing of the coloration are certainly indicitave of Ironwood, probably Mexican.

However, that's just my observation from the photo.

Thanks for all the responses.I'm still not sure exactly what it is,but the buyer liked it.
Thanks again,

God bless,Keith

Back