Work in batches

Justin Presson

I just wanted to put up this post to help new guys.
I'm working on those 4 camp bowies and thought I should share to newer knife makers how much more efficient it is to work on multiple knives in batches then working on a single knife.
By that I mean work on each knife at the same step before moving on to the next step in the process.
Huge time saver! When you are at the grinder and have a 60 grit belt and the flat platen do everything you need to on all the knives before switching to another grit. Once all that work is done on every knife then switch to next grit. Tooling set up is time consuming and switching back and forth. I do all the flat platen work first with my squared up work rest before I switch to the small wheel attachment. If you switch back and forth for one knife then back to the flat platen for the next knife and back to the small wheel it takes time....you get the idea? Just was thinking of this last night as I was profiling the knives

Just wanted to share that bit of info, if anyone else has any efficiency tips please share!
JP

I agree. Setting up or finding tools takes up a lot of time.
If you want to get some units produced, batch is the way to go. I’ve done 5 in a batch a couple times and hated it. It seemed to take forever and I’d lose interest. I usually set up to do three at a time now unless I am working on something new I haven’t done before. When working on three I get all the grunt work done and then take one at a time to finished.

4 to 6 is the sweet spot for me. I've got 12 going right now and it's making me crazy. It does tend to suck some of the enjoyment out of it. Once I can start working on handle shaping I'll feel better...until I have to start the sheaths...

I'm working on a small batch of bird and trout knives right now. The one thing I've noticed is there is a definite improvement in my skills when working this way... I can really see the difference between the first one and the third one that I was working on today. I have five in this batch so hopefully number five will be a winner.

I try to work in batches to keep from changing belts. I have 7 d2 cowboys knives I just ground. Next are three light hunters to be ground and then 4 drop point hunters. I grind same style to get repeatability then go to next one.

I try to work in batches to keep from changing belts. I have 7 d2 cowboys knives I just ground. Next are three light hunters to be ground and then 4 drop point hunters. I grind same style to get repeatability then go to next one.

Mike my first impression of this thread shows we only read some of what is before us. I haven't even been in the shop since the wife has been sick but even then I rarely do batches of knives!!!

I read your post and as I clicked out of this thread it hit me. Did he say he was grinding 72 cowboy knives. Now that is a batch of knives.

Had to pop back to read,...… 7 d2 cowboys knives I just ground. Next are three light hunters to be ground and then 4 drop point hunters So if my math is correct, that is still a good batch.

Fourteen knives is still a real good batch of knives!!

Yes and 2 damascus earlier. The batch of 14 are in the liquid nitrogen right now. I keep several of a pattern on hand heat treated then can finish as needed. Those 7 D2 blades cut out of a 6 inch wide piece of D2 fits nicely.

Agree x100. I typically don't heat treat fewer than 5 or 6, and it's usually at least 10. Pre-HT and post HT grinding apply.

If you are grinding 14 knives, some out of D2 nonetheless, you are still going to be having to switch out belts on a regular basis. I was told early on to treat my belts like they were a dime a dozen and change them whenever they seem to slow down cutting the steel.

Doug

I am also in agreement- I have been cutting out 6 blades at a time and sending for HT- then as mentioned- grind all at the same time. Helps alot because of the repetitive action and muscle memory really kicks in, so my grinds seem better.

Depends
If you are grinding 14 knives, some out of D2 nonetheless, you are still going to be having to switch out belts on a regular basis. I was told early on to treat my belts like they were a dime a dozen and change them whenever they seem to slow down cutting the steel.

Doug
depends on belts and Grinder. I ground 16 blades then used same belt to finish grinding heat treated. Still were good to
Me!

Back