Work in progress

JAWilliams

KNIFEMAKER
Well this is one I just started. It is 1084, 1/8" thick. I have flat gound it. Now I was thinking about using ss pins and lanyard tube. Or just lanyard tube. Not sure if I like the handle shape or length.
S3600010.jpg

This is why I am not sure about the handle shape or length.
S3600011.jpg

This is one that I like but have to start over. It is 5160

S3600012.jpg

S3600013.jpg

Let me know what you think about both. Thanks, James

Don't take this too far, because I'm still pretty newbie, but in my opinion on the first one, the blade shape doesn't fit with the handle. I'd make it a drop point, and make the handle a little shorter (I don't know dimensions though)
This is just MY opinion though.
kni2.jpg

And what's wrong with the second one?

[QUOTE
And what's wrong with the second one?[/QUOTE]

Ghost divit. Look at the first pic. About two inches from the plunge it looks like an oval. That is the divit.

Divots Damn I hate em, no need to start over just make it a thinner blade.Half of this craft is learning to fix your screwups.
Stan

the jig

Hey James,
You should see if Go Mike has any of those grinding jigs left. I got one from him and I really like it. Takes longer than free hand, but it really helps to keep things lined up nice, and Mike did a great job building them too. 2thumbs

Larry

If you're interested in the tutorial I made on it, it's HERE. I've made quite a few for other people, and the only real complaint I've had is that it only holds handles up to 1-1/8" wide, and the rest do not fit with all 3 screws in, so he removed the top and held it together with a small pair of vice grips

Like that. I know I will keep coming back to it. Give me time, I will most likely order one. Oh Mike the blade is the shape I was looking for. It is the handle that I am not happy with. But proto types are ment for changing.

If you're interested in the tutorial I made on it, it's HERE. I've made quite a few for other people, and the only real complaint I've had is that it only holds handles up to 1-1/8" wide, and the rest do not fit with all 3 screws in, so he removed the top and held it together with a small pair of vice grips

Great looking jig Mike.2thumbs

Hey buddy they look Good ,I think the first one needs to be shortend up some. I like the size of the bottom one....use orange G10....2thumbs

Well here is a couple of more.

This one is W2 did a finish down to 400 grit to find scratches before quench and heat treat. Now I have to get some clay to do it. Jeff I am going to try orange and yellow G10 on this one.
knife068.jpg

This is one I started about 8 months ago. Lost it in the move. It is 1084 and it is ready to handle. I am going to try Shags acid treat on the spalted maple.
knife067.jpg

Size difference.
knife069.jpg

The first one in the monster and if it turns out alright I am going to do more in 5160, Great steel and tough. Oh I am still trying to figure out the first one for handle and the second one I am sanding on it to get the scratches out of before quenching and treating.

5160 is built for more than hard use- built for damage,.. heat her right and she'll last forever.

[QUOTE
And what's wrong with the second one?

Ghost divit. Look at the first pic. About two inches from the plunge it looks like an oval. That is the divit.[/QUOTE]

That's a classic example of the dreaded "2-inch dip" disease. Notice how it corresponds to the width of your belt, when you're at the plunge?

James,
Really like the one made from 5160, that thing has some attitude! Can't wait to see it finished.
Bruce

Lookin good James.

Is this going to be a piggy back set?

Either way cant wait for this WIP to wrap up2thumbs

Back