would you keep making

franklin

here's a knife that most people know as larry's kitchen knife. well 1,2,3 and so on people keep wanting that knife. well i really don't care to make anymore. my question is would you keep making them if your heart just wasn't into it? what do you guys think of the knife think it worthy of my attention?

Last edited:
Personally, if it's a hobby, then I'd make what I wanted :) Who knows, you may come back to that design some day.

If you don't want to make it and don't have to make it then I would not.
Perhaps you could design a similar piece that would challenge you, yet satisfy your customer's appetite for
that style knife.

My first question would be, "How would the cancelation of this design effect your livelihood?". If there would be no noticeable impact, move on to designs that you are more interested in and discontinue the design.

If there would be a noticeable impact, I would have to strongle agree with Kevin and encourage you to begin working on a revised design that would spark greater personal interest.

Perhaps look at getting a number of blanks laser / water cut so you have to spend less time on each piece?

for me there's no livelihood involved but i hate turning down someone when there set i 1.i try to change everyone i make with little things but to me, same knife. stew i like that ideal but costly, maybe ill just find someone who needs a little cash, and have them hog out the main part lol. thanks guys for the input still deciding buy the way no one commented on the knife ? maybe i will stop this one.

Last edited:
Cutting costs may not be as bad as you think, especially if you can combine with someone else's order. Guess it might depend on the steel though.

I suspect no one commented on the knife as that wasn't the point of the question. :D I like the shape, not so keen on the holes but my view is kinda irrelevant as you've already told us you have people wanting to buy the design. We don't all like the same thing and it would be boring if we did!

The big question , is it cost effective and ,are you making fair return for your efforts ? if not I say discontinue it . I have the same problem making swords , not too many folks got a grand or so to shell out . So I only make them on consignment . Just some friendly advice ..... Bubba

Franklin, If I wasn't havin fun making them, and money is not in the equation, I would put them down for a while..

OR, What I might do would be to take orders on them for 6 months.. and then run a batch of them.. Then water jetting the blades is more doable.. and give you a break from them for a while!

God Bless
Randy

ya guys i think that sounds good run in batches. just found someone local to cut very good price, cuz he likes knives and he wants to do something different. i hope that makes it better thanks for all the replies

Back