Ya know what grinds my gears?

What grinds my gears? As most know, my passion is teaching this craft, and up until Lupus and Lung Disease, I did that on nearly a full time basis. So what grinds my gears has to do with teaching......

At the top of the list are individuals that I have taught something that was/is unique that I do (that I do not show/teach of everyone), then have the individual(s), start using the process/technique with some success, and claim it as their own.... and in some cases they have even told others that I am copying them!:mad: THAT really grinds my gears. They don't have to give me credit every time they use it/do it on/with a knife, but when asked they should acknowledge where it came from, and they should NEVER claim it as their own innovation/invention when someone else specifically taught them something unique.

Last edited:
You know what grind my gears? When I try to engage my feed lever when my lathe is running too fast.... :D

Also, people that say they're interested in a knife you have available, but then take forever to send the payment, with no communication after sending them the payment details.
Sorry, are you still interested? Should I tell the next person they can buy it now? Oh, you forgot to hit the submit payment button and didn't log into your computer for 3 days? Oh, you forgot you don't get paid until Friday... next week?

Also, people that say they're interested in a knife you have available, but then take forever to send the payment, with no communication after sending them the payment details.
Sorry, are you still interested? Should I tell the next person they can buy it now? Oh, you forgot to hit the submit payment button and didn't log into your computer for 3 days? Oh, you forgot you don't get paid until Friday... next week?

SO TRUE!! That happens so often that I've come to somewhat expect it.

You know what grind my gears? When I try to engage my feed lever when my lathe is running too fast.... :D

That reminds me of when I used to do wedding photography. Except wedding photos don't have another buyer waiting. One of the reasons (of many) I quit doing them.

Agreed. So now, unless I know the buyer very well it gets sold to the person with the money.

You know what grinds my gears. I use a 2 x 42 with a side disc sander. I barely use the side thingy. Sometimes I turn my sander a little to get more light and grab the moving round disc. That grinds my gears and finger tips. One idea is to take off the sand paper. But that might take a few minutes of my time.

You know what grinds my gears. I use a 2 x 42 with a side disc sander. I barely use the side thingy. Sometimes I turn my sander a little to get more light and grab the moving round disc. That grinds my gears and finger tips. One idea is to take off the sand paper. But that might take a few minutes of my time.
Remove the side "thingy" perhaps?

You know what Grinds my Gears. When a potential customer asks you for a price on a knife, you tell them and there is that awkward silence! Ive stopped giving prices and tell them to check out my Etsy page. If their serious they get back to me! If their kicking tires I dont hear a thing!

hearing.....

"...are these knives in the $50 dollar range....":mad:

no. no they are not.

That seems to be the Universal price!! Doesn't matter if its a 6" Drop point hunter or a 16" Bowie!! "Is this around $50?" LOL!! NO!! Guy wanted me to build him one of those Serbian Chef knives thought that $65 for a Rain Drop Damascus one on Amazon was to much. Told him i couldn't buy enough Mono Steel to make that knife for that never mind my time!

OH!! You folks brought back a memory!! Way back, when I was doing what I thought was a mirror polish on knives...... and attending "Gun and Knife" shows.....

What REALLY grinds (ground) my gears..... "Hey! Who chrome plates your blades?" Which opens up an entire can of worms....

"Where do you buy the handles?"
"Where do you buy the guards?"

and the topper....

"It must have taken a long time to paint all those lines on the blades."

OH!! You folks brought back a memory!! Way back, when I was doing what I thought was a mirror polish on knives...... and attending "Gun and Knife" shows.....

What REALLY grinds (ground) my gears..... "Hey! Who chrome plates your blades?" Which opens up an entire can of worms....

"Where do you buy the handles?"
"Where do you buy the guards?"

and the topper....

"It must have taken a long time to paint all those lines on the blades."

Thats hysterical Ed!!

Back