Your Deer Blades

Art...nice rack there. Tell us the story behind that pic, and the blade.

Larry

Not much of a story from me, I just made the knife. I made this guy a knife every year for four years, he was going to Alaska and always give the knife to the guide after the hunt.
I do wish the rack was mine. Sorry no big story from me.

Nice knife Nathan! It looks like you wont have to worry about knicking the bladder while your field dressing :D looks like it'll be handy during peeling him too! Im pretty sure I remember you selling a batch of these in micarta and osage orange about a year ago.

Jason

Thanks Jason

I like this kind of drop point because it doesn't nick meat (or bladders or intestines) as much as a clip point, I like the pronounced belly at the tip for cutting skin, and I like the narrow tip for reaching up inside of the pelvis for disconnecting intestines and reproductive bits without splitting the pelvis or cutting them (they're tied off from the outside for cleanliness). The handle is designed for a pinch grip, or for extending the blade along your index finger. The coil allows your hand to get up close to the working area without risking a cut. The D2 has better edge stability than stainless, and a toothy edge that works well with flesh, and the D2 will stay sharp through several deer. I've had a lot of feedback on it from hunters that bag more than I do who have dressed 7 or more deer without needing touch up. I've never shot that many in one season, but the times I've used it I found that incidental bone contact and even bumping into the hanging hooks didn't cause any edge roll (and it is sharpened 13 deg per side) and it still shaves hair when I'm done. Not to toot my own horn (more than I already have) but it really is the best skinning knife I have used. But then again I designed it for my own personal likes so I guess it should be my favorite.

I've made a few batches of these, but I never did one this season because my shop has been so backed up with machining work. As the larger shops are going under and the internal shops are being cut, little shops like mine are picking up a lot of work this year.

I made this one a couple years ago for field work. It's O1 tool steel with homemade mycarta. Nothing fancy. Just wanted wanted a drop in the dirt beater type knife. It gets used quite a bit.

pigzipper004.jpg

Nathan and Shank thanks for the pics and descriptions of use. That D2 looked like a serious cutter when you first posted it awhile back, Nathan. Far as the pelvis goes, we always cut it, but everyone in our group uses a small hatchet. Once its open everything can be pulled down easier seems, and cleaned.

Larry

Thanks Jason

I like this kind of drop point because
PHP:
it doesn't nick meat (or bladders or intestines) as much as a clip point,
I like the pronounced belly at the tip for cutting skin, and I like the narrow tip for reaching up inside of the pelvis for disconnecting intestines and reproductive bits without splitting the pelvis or cutting them (they're tied off from the outside for cleanliness). The handle is designed for a pinch grip, or for extending the blade along your index finger. The coil allows your hand to get up close to the working area without risking a cut. The D2 has better edge stability than stainless, and a toothy edge that works well with flesh, and the D2 will stay sharp through several deer. I've had a lot of feedback on it from hunters that bag more than I do who have dressed 7 or more deer without needing touch up. I've never shot that many in one season, but the times I've used it I found that incidental bone contact and even bumping into the hanging hooks didn't cause any edge roll (and it is sharpened 13 deg per side) and it still shaves hair when I'm done. Not to toot my own horn (more than I already have) but it really is the best skinning knife I have used. But then again I designed it for my own personal likes so I guess it should be my favorite.

I've made a few batches of these, but I never did one this season because my shop has been so backed up with machining work. As the larger shops are going under and the internal shops are being cut, little shops like mine are picking up a lot of work this year.

Hey Nathan. Great looking knife you made. I have been using a case knife with a clip point for the last 15 years and havent noticed myself nicking meat ,bladders or intestines. Might be your technique.;)

Hey Nathan. Great looking knife you made. I have been using a case knife with a clip point for the last 15 years and havent noticed myself nicking meat ,bladders or intestines. Might be your technique.;)

I wouldn't disagree with that.

I expect you probably use the "SharpFinger"? That is a classic.

I used to use a Buck 119 (heavy and clunky in retrospect). And I ended up blunting the back of the tip slightly to reduce accidental nicks. When I went to a drop point I found that I could "unzip" a deer along the legs and belly by turning the blade edge out and running it along the cut. I like this better than a gut hook (that, and I don't like what a gut hook does to the geometry of a blade) but I can't do it with clip point. Lord knows, there are plenty of clip point skinning knifes, the 119 for example, but my personal preference is a drop point because it works better with my technique (or lack thereof).

I wouldn't disagree with that.

I expect you probably use the "SharpFinger"? That is a classic.

I used to use a Buck 119 (heavy and clunky in retrospect). And I ended up blunting the back of the tip slightly to reduce accidental nicks. When I went to a drop point I found that I could "unzip" a deer along the legs and belly by turning the blade edge out and running it along the cut. I like this better than a gut hook (that, and I don't like what a gut hook does to the geometry of a blade) but I can't do it with clip point. Lord knows, there are plenty of clip point skinning knifes, the 119 for example, but my personal preference is a drop point because it works better with my technique (or lack thereof).

Copy that brotha. I might try me a drop point this year.
Did you make your own denim micarta on that knife?

This is my Pro Skinner, when it was new, this will be it's third deer season, it has a nice patina now. It is used for field dressing and skinning deer, and some trimming of the meat. She is O1 tool and Desert Ironwood handle with nickel silver bolsters and pins. It feels good in use and holds a edge really well, field dressed and skinned 4 deer last year without a touch up, though I don't split the pelvis with it, I use a hachet for that. Just a little over a month and she may be used again.

ProSkinner1.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0355.jpg

Works great on the first one this week and i'll be taking it with me after my buck.

I made this combo for a friend. Gut hook seperate and dressing knife.

DSCF0006.jpg

These are I guess my stock deer knives. They are good all around.

DSCF0030.jpg

Paul

Les give the details on the knife.

Man I dont have any more details!
smile.gif
I think it was 154CM probably 5/32 or 3/16 thick.

I think about 9 inches long over all. I was thinking it would be cool to have a fixed blade version of the FM-1, but I wasnt very impressed...

Man I dont have any more details!
smile.gif
I think it was 154CM probably 5/32 or 3/16 thick.

I think about 9 inches long over all. I was thinking it would be cool to have a fixed blade version of the FM-1, but I wasnt very impressed...

Great looking knife still.
2thumbs

I have so many favorites to tote but so far my Eddie White Model IX has been the only one see any action. I've got a new Sharpeblades hunter that begs for blood but it is so pretty......

oh and the Crawford County Ga. 8 pt I shot last Thursday.

Attachments

• Deer hunt 10 4 09 016 (600 x 450).jpg
    Deer hunt 10 4 09 016 (600 x 450).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 30
  • marks deer 09 017.jpg
    marks deer 09 017.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 29
  • marks deer 09 057.jpg
    marks deer 09 057.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 23
Back