YOUR Shop!

LOVE the high power silhouettes on the wall!!

That’s a nice shop!
Thanks John, Now I have to learn to produce the quality of knife I have in my head! Learning the hard way but I'm stubborn! I've been knockin those tin critters over for 20 some years now. It's almost as addicting as knifemaking! Steve

I have 2 of them in my shop, visible in the last photo. I have a company that comes once a year that services those and the ones in my cabinet shop. I've been lucky and have only had to use one once when I caught the table saw on fire.
I saw one of those and see the other now. That's what made me think of it and go back and look again at others... and my own.
Umm... caught the table saw on fire? Do tell...

I saw one of those and see the other now. That's what made me think of it and go back and look again at others... and my own.
Umm... caught the table saw on fire? Do tell...

When I cut up the walnut crotches after I dry them, they are so hard and some of them have tension in them, so they pinch the blade and burn bad. Enough that it started a fire. I have the 5 hp sawstop saw, and cutting these crotches up, I've been able to almost stop the saw.

wouldn't it be easier to cut them green? I know that cutting green oak is pretty easy, but dry oak is like cutting granite.

wouldn't it be easier to cut them green? I know that cutting green oak is pretty easy, but dry oak is like cutting granite.
Wouldn't cutting them up green cause the pieces to check worse as they dried? I ask because a friend of mine recently cut three large burls off of a Cherry tree and I get to have them for free. I was thinking to let the burls dry for about a year then cut them up so they do not check so badly.

With figured wood and burls, you want them to dry slow. Leaving them in larger chunks helps with that. If they do check or crack, I can cut around these to get the best blocks out of the piece.

Not so much a “shop”, as much as it is a work ROOM! But it serves my purpose. Little cramped at times being I need to switch off between knife making & Gunsmithing/Gun building. Not to mention reloading, and a healthy dose of small parts machining, LOL. I have been truly blessed regardless.

One of favorite parts is the work table. Made by a friend. It’s 6” thick of laminated wood. The table weighs about 400lbs.+!

I need shelves all over for all the stuff I have. Here are two loaded with reloading equip.

This shelf unit is a new addition. I’m moving things to it bout slow as a cripple like me can, LOL

Great shop/room! - and that worktable is nice - I have about 4' of a laminated piece that I have hauled around with me for about 25 years - use it for lots of stuff - a work bench outta that would have to be just awesome..

A mill is on my short list of stuff to add to the shop. I do not know how to use one but I need one...

You'll figure it out real quick. It's just a drill press that does everything you wish it did, LOL. I'm no machinist, so that's meant tongue in cheek. But if I can figure it out anyone can (thanks to YouTube University). After my grinder, my mill is the best tool in the shop. It gets used on everything even if just as a drill press. The ability to make things flat and square, or the proper thickness I want, has made my life 100% easier. I use it for scales more than anything else. And my mill is basically a toy. I will have a full sized mill sooner or later, but any mill is better than no mill. Believe that.

A mill is on my short list of stuff to add to the shop. I do not know how to use one but I need one...
Yes, a mill is an indispensable addition to a knife making / metal working shop. Learn how to use a wiggler ,and the dangers and benefits of a "Climb Cut", and you'll be on your way to mill-working nirvana.

So! That’s the point! A dirty shop is a USED shop. Every mess has a project & story behind it. Can always clean it up.....but MAKING the mess is the fun!
also, I dumped my cell phone in the creek behind the shop and don't have another camera at the moment so.... more excuses, I've got plenty of those to make up for a lack of experience

Here's a bunch of random pics of my shop. Mine is roughly a 'C' shape.

Looking in from the roll up door at the forging/grinding area:

Forge and anvils and salt pot:

Surface grinder and grinder:

Mill area and extra benches and second finish/surfacing bench:

Bandsaws and wood stove:

Main finishing bench:

Drill press alley and layout/drawing table:

Looking back at the mill/second finish station:

Light tent/photo area:

Back