Zebrawood?

Justin Presson

Hey guys,
I was at a wood store here in KC trying to find some wood for scales and the store manager gave me a scrap piece of zebrawood. I just wanted to know what you all think about it for knives. It is some great looking wood just didn't know about finishing, durability or anything about it.
Thanks
JP

I've seen some gorgeous gun stocks made with Zebra wood.
Seems like in the late 90's everybody and their brother was using it on knives, then things died down. I've only used it stabilized but all the normal finishing techniques should work with a final buffed wax finish. (Danish oil or Tru-oil)

Rudy

Thanks Rudy, so you think if I use some now it's going to look dated like shag carpet and wood paneling?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I have some from back when I thought I wanted to build traditional bows. If I remember right, it might be a little soft for knife handles. Mine might have come from a pudgy zebra. You just never know these things.:3: Let me know how it turns out.

Bill

Hey guys,
I was at a wood store here in KC trying to find some wood for scales and the store manager gave me a scrap piece of zebrawood. I just wanted to know what you all think about it for knives. It is some great looking wood just didn't know about finishing, durability or anything about it.
Thanks
JP

It works fine for a handle, I have used it both stabilized and not. I prefer the former but it works fine not stabilized except when I used for kitchen knives the handles can soak up a bit of moisture if the person leaves the knife wet it the sink. Otherwise, No problem.

Thanks Rudy, so you think if I use some now it's going to look dated like shag carpet and wood paneling?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Dated ?
What else would you line the inside of your van with ? Shag and paneling will never go out of style.:biggrin:

You'll be fine.
Each peice of lumber has it's own character. Maybe you'll re-start the trend.

Rudy

Back