Zombie Chopper WIP and a question

Channing Watson

Had this blank sitting around for a while because I hate grinding them. I use the edge of the platen and always end up hand sanding gouges out forever.

It's 1/4 1075 from Aldo, about 18 inches long.

Anyway, I ground the decarb off and gave it an etch and a light polish. This popped out at me:

5620317895_9d6ef58a16_z.jpg

This is by far the most activity I have ever achieved with a hamon. There is a lot more activity above the line and I am unsure as to the best way to bring it out?

I have a lot of cleanup to do on the bevels yet and am afraid it is going to kill a lot of the activity above the line.

Any advice?

Some more pics:

5620906620_aeb5291c09_b.jpg

getting rid of unnoticed warping post temper is fun!
5620906916_0700430e88_z.jpg

oh, and to answer your question, I'm not sure I would clean it up/polish it much more than it already is now. Lends itself more to the "apocalyptic zombie killer" theme if it's a little "dirty" looking. Know what I mean?

That knife looks great,
One question though, does the guy in pic 3 packing the heat, a knife and what appears to be a claymore tucked in his belt, is he the customer service manager?

Just kidding,
Great looking project.
Steve

That thing is wicked cool! I can see why you fight with the grind lines.. Sry. I dont know how to make that hamon POP but would agree with AR. leaving it like it is wouldnt be all bad!

Now I gota go out in the shop and design a zombie slayer style knife!! I have some fine grain 1095 from Aldo that should work well for this.. Now look what you started!!!

God Bless YA!
Randy

Steven:

Haha! That is the local knife sharpener extraordinaire and kydex genius. As a matter of fact I will probably have him do the edge on this guy so I don't manage to screw it up! I am going to tell him you said his iphone looks like a claymore!

Randy:

Sorry man! Zombie choppers are a blast to design and make since you can try out strange profiles and when people look at you like you are crazy you can just shrug and say "It's for the zombies!". Send me a pm so I can see what you come up with.

Back