#003 Slippie "Whew"

Better yet --- lay ivory om a piece of alum. or a piece of smooth & level hardrock maple or such wood. I have never seen anything pop a piece out when using this method for drilling Ivory --- learned this at the old Colt custom shop when I worked there. FWIW

Bruce this is really inspiring. Your slippies look great and I can't see any problems with fit and finish in the photos. We probably have different definitions for that. I mean what's acceptable for me would probably make your hair curl. :D

If there's a pass around for these I would really appreciate being in the loop. Just getting to examine one of these would be a real benefit. I promise not to cut any wire with it! Seriously though, after I've made a couple I would like to get other's feedback too. Like Bruce said, this is the kind of knife people will actually carry and use, which is what turns me on the most. I dig it when people use my knives, but few actually do.

Plus, this would be so hard to do well that it'd be very satisfying to pull off. I'm going to give it a try - maybe I'll run screaming after the first one. :D

Bruce, thanks for sharing your beautiful work. You really do inspire me.

Bruce, those are some nice looking slip joints. I agree with others here, looks like you have it figured out. nicethread1

Craig

Nice knives Bruce, how about coin edge milled liners on the next one, should put a bit more class to an already classey knife.

Bruce, glad you like the idea. My ultimate dream knife would be a 3 1/2 inch barehead trapper with mammoth ivory, coin edge liners and maltese cross filework on backspring and blade. The only down side to my wish list is that I couldn't afford my fantasy, oh well it's nice to dream. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with in your slip joint adventure though, I'm a big fan of your knife/gun work.
Dave

They do kick a--- at the end of the day but the rewards are worth it Bruce. Feel well rewarded with this one.

I finished #004 today.
It came out pretty but not my best work. I had some pivot pin troubles and had to replace it twice but now its invisible. WooHoo!
The walk and talk is stiff and quiet so I gave it to Mike. He is still using the hunting knife he dug out of my trash can 10 years ago. He will put this one to the test too.

100_4134_edited.jpg

100_4129_edited.jpg

100_4131_edited.jpg

100_4132_edited.jpg

100_4136_edited.jpg

That's sweet Bruce! What's the handle material? And what do you use to inlay the shield? I've seen the Tony Bose milling method, just wonder how you're doing it.

That's sweet Bruce! What's the handle material? And what do you use to inlay the shield? I've seen the Tony Bose milling method, just wonder how you're doing it.

Thanks Dave,
The handles are amber dyed elk. I like the colors from white to yellow and shades of red too.
I also use the T Bose method for the inlay.

Is "kicking my arse." a bad word ??????????? POPS BRUCE BUMP is cussing
again :haha: Think I'll get into trouble if i use that at basketball ????? HAHAHA YOU DO NICE WORK ON THEM FOLDERS MR. BUMP ,AND GETTING YOUR ARSE KICKED IS GOOD FOR YOU SOMETIMES IT TEACHES YOU HOW TO WIN. "LOL"

Thanks Dave,
The handles are amber dyed elk. I like the colors from white to yellow and shades of red too.
I also use the T Bose method for the inlay.

Yeah man, the colors are what got my attention. That's really nice.

Is 1/16 stock too thin for a slippie? That's all I have that's even close and I'm really feeling the urge to try something. What size stock are you using? How do you like the Sandvik steel?

Darci, you're not even a little competitive are you? :D Remind me never to take you on in a game of driveway basketball, you'd wipe me out. :D It hurts just thinking about it.

Bruce!!!!

Having just found this site, and this thread... All's I can say is; "When can I order a slippie from ya????" :eek:
The one you opened this thread with soooo floats my boat!!!!! Love the blade style and would love to carry one like it!

Awesome work, again, Bruce!!!

Hope to talk to you soon!

Joe

Is "kicking my arse." a bad word ??????????? POPS BRUCE BUMP is cussing
again :haha: Think I'll get into trouble if i use that at basketball ????? HAHAHA YOU DO NICE WORK ON THEM FOLDERS MR. BUMP ,AND GETTING YOUR ARSE KICKED IS GOOD FOR YOU SOMETIMES IT TEACHES YOU HOW TO WIN. "LOL"

Thanks for the kind words Darci.
You youngsters can run and play games but its sporting for me to just get out of this chair sometimes. :eek:

Having just found this site, and this thread... All's I can say is; "When can I order a slippie from ya????" :eek:
The one you opened this thread with soooo floats my boat!!!!! Love the blade style and would love to carry one like it!

Awesome work, again, Bruce!!!

Hope to talk to you soon!

Joe

Hi Joe! Sorry I just found this thread again.
I'd love the chance to make you one of these. Do you take your bowie downtown? You can with this knife.
email me buddy.

Those are gorgeous Bruce, I especially like the one you are EDCing.

Thanks Eli
I took my folder out deer hunting but didnt get a chance to use it yet. Maybe this week. I found a place to sit till dark each night. There were 3 nice shooter bucks that came out right at dark. 5 minutes earlier and one would be mine.

Back