#003 Slippie "Whew"

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
These slip joints are kicking my arse. I've never been so tired at the end a knife making day.

13c26 Sandvik steel
Paul Bos ht
410 stainless for everything else
mammoth ivory

100_4050.jpg

100_4051_edited.jpg

100_4053_edited.jpg

100_4054_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, I really like it. Hope that makes you feel better.

((((These slip joints are kicking my arse. I've never been so tired at the end a knife making day. )))))
Thats why I don't make them, I like it to be fun, and it's not fun for me. So it's fixed blades for me.

Like I said, I like them.

Thanks guys. After this one I hope they go quicker, work better and have better fit and finish. I really like that I can put it in my pocket and carry it around, unlike a bowie knife. Well I suppose you could carry your bowie downtowm but the cops may show up.

Bruce Im on my third one also and it is really kicking my butt.

Good job on that one, I dont know about you but Im hooked on them.

Sean

Oh I think "I'm hooked" too for sure. I still consider myself in the "learning process" but I can see these as a knife that people will buy, carry and use for years so its worth it all.

I'm open for comments and suggestions guys. I really care what you guys (my friends) think of my work especially here on our own Dog Forums. Dont forget that making knives is serious for me as I do this everyday for a living. Without feedback I cant improve the next one. I have handled a hundred old slipjoints that had loose, rusty, broken, abused blades and handles cracking and gone. What can I do to make that not happen to mine? I fully expect my knives to be used, hopefully not abused but I want them to hold up under normal EDC and retired in good condition. How about warrenty? I dont want to work on them in my feeble years. How should I warrenty these?

Do you like the rear bolsters? On this one I used rear bolsters simply because the ivory was too short. On another note, there is room to embellish the knife now.

Here is the same knife without the rear bolsters:
pay no attention to the radial cracks around the center pin on the white one. Its my EDC now.

100_4059_edited.jpg

100_4067_edited.jpg

100_4065_edited.jpg

Just for fun, here is the first one I made:
100_3798_edited.jpg

100_3802_edited.jpg

Last edited:
It didnt crack on that one. What did you do different? The bolsters look fine to me, how long is the over all closed and open?

It didnt crack on that one. What did you do different? The bolsters look fine to me, how long is the over all closed and open?

I peened the hell out of the white one. Its a scary thing to take a hammer to a 99% finished knife. One the green one I super glued the center pin after very lightly spreading the pin to fill the hole. No tapering in the center pin hole.

Another probleim is the ivory cracking breaking out at the pin holes when drilling. I tried to leave the ivory thicker but some of that old ivory is brittle and even with a hard backing under the ivory it still pops a piece loose when the bit exits. I suspect my rpm speed is too slow? I have a VS drill press but didnt use it.

Wow Bruce those look great, if you need any EDC testing please let me know I would be glad to do you a favor. 2thumbs
Gordon

Wow Bruce those look great, if you need any EDC testing please let me know I would be glad to do you a favor. 2thumbs
Gordon

Thats not a bad idea actually. Nothing sells knives better than actual use and word of mouth. I wonder if we have a passaround sub forum here?

Bruce when drilling the ivory have you tried putting two layers of masking tape where the drill bit exits to help diminish breaks out. An old trick another knifemaker told me.

Back