1st Annual Knife Dogs Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
After thinking it through more, I retract my earlier suggestion about a "name" award. I agree "Top Dog" or something like that is more appropriate. Seems to me that category would include educator/sponsor of hammer-ins/poster of links and WIPs/general friendliness and positive attitude, etc.

Fewer/simpler is also better... maybe just fixed blade, folder, art knife, collector/supporter of makers, and Top Dog. Maybe also service/supplier of the year? Y'know the guys who cut blanks, do HT, get us the materials we need and so forth. That narrows it down to six... just thinking out loud.

EDIT: OK, new maker/most improved too... back up to seven :eek:

Last edited:
Hey Boss,
If we vote by the standard poll that is part of this software can we invite an outside celeb who is not a member to participate?

we should invite everybody to participate...only registered KD members are allowed to vote in the polls by software limitations or am I not understanding your question?

Hey Boss,
If we vote by the standard poll that is part of this software can we invite an outside celeb who is not a member to participate?

My opinion on this is:
I feel that even if an celebrity of non member status could vote, I don't think is would be right.
Don't get me wrong, I respect all people wether members or not but this is the KnifeDogs awards and feel only members should be able to participate.
just my 2cents

registered users never have to pay or even post if they don't want to. They simply need to take a minute to fill out the registration form.

I think you are right, Jeff. Non members will not win anything because we will only use photos from last year already posted on KD. At the same time, we can't stop anyone from registering and voting, because they would technically be members once they register. Then if they wish to have a knife considered for next year all they have to do is post a pic.

When nominations start, if you want to put someones knife up, you will have to use your memory and search the forums for the piece you feel is worthy. I can think of a few off the top of my pointy head, but I'm looking forward to reviewing the pictures.

I think we all agree there will be no self nominations (you could go blind) but I bet the PM's and phones will be burning up with the politics of knifemaking. The final tales will be told with votes!!!!!

Steve

Mr. Janik, If you still want my feeble attempt at some sort of plaque logo design I need to know how the plaque will be done. Is it going to be laser etched, printed on, wood carved, ect.....

Uh Dunno.....
I would imagine that is engraved on metal through a colored mask, like brass showing thru black.
These metal plates would be screwed onto a wood backer which would hang on a wall.

You could also google lucite awards, there are some kewl pyramids, cylinders and such as well as plaques that just need a 'puter file with artwork to be engraved.

I flunked art in school for eating the paint, and yes, it was lead paint.

http://www.munizplastics.com/acrylic_awards/acrylic_awards_03.htm
This place has them and we have a budget of $50.00 each times a max of 10 awards.
trophy.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
I was thinking this was a going forward announcement but now I see you are looking at going back to last years pictures. Is that right?

On the plaque, my vote is for NOT a bone or dog house....my opinion, something traditional and classy

Help Hold On

I need to throw a bone as an advocate for us newbies.

1. T
o make this big we should post this "Idea" in some kind of pre-membership reading, along with guidelines , no cussing etc.? not only for 2010 but now onto 2011 -because I am lost here or I missed how we do this event???

2. I don't know if we have done this every year or this would be the first? If this is the first time I would throw out 2010 and Lets work on 2011 so we can set this foundation. It's hard to build frame work without a foundation for 2010 now?
3. IE what is the purpose, what is "Posted Pictures" just clarification examples for voting, although you have mentioned them....this was the first I heard of this now in 2011 the 9th??? We can email the event to mems. when we have laid out the ground work?

Thanks would love to help, love being here-Kris

Love this group and would love to help anyway I can!!!! Kris

How about a plaque with a carved knife shape? I have a CNC router that I use in my sign business. I can convert a drawing and cut the shape along with any text desired.

You can see samples of my carved signs at our web site.

ernie balch
www.balchsigns.com

The first awards will be given at or near the end of Jan 2011. As per my first post, the nominations will be from pix previously posted from our inception through Dec 31, 2010. There has to be a starting point and it may be a little rough but we will beat the wrinkles out of it for the first year and it will get better with age.

No better time to start than the present. Everyone will not win or get their way, but the process will evolve.
Tracy can send out a mass bulletin if he wishes but these posts also show up on WHAT'S NEW as they come in,
if you know a part time member, clue them in. We need all the support we can muster.

I need to throw a bone as an advocate for us newbies.

1. T
o make this big we should post this "Idea" in some kind of pre-membership reading, along with guidelines , no cussing etc.? not only for 2010 but now onto 2011 -because I am lost here or I missed how we do this event???

2. I don't know if we have done this every year or this would be the first? If this is the first time I would throw out 2010 and Lets work on 2011 so we can set this foundation. It's hard to build frame work without a foundation for 2010 now?
3. IE what is the purpose, what is "Posted Pictures" just clarification examples for voting, although you have mentioned them....this was the first I heard of this now in 2011 the 9th??? We can email the event to mems. when we have laid out the ground work?

Thanks would love to help, love being here-Kris

Love this group and would love to help anyway I can!!!! Kris

This is the first time for the Awards to take place on Knife Dogs.

The way it works is like movie awards kinda, We vote on knives made and posted on the website thought the previous year (2010).
The knives you would be voting on are everywhere on the website but they have to be posted in the year for which the awards are being given out.

Next year we would do 2011 Awards.

I think thats what you were asking!

Edited to say: Darn steve beat me to it:)

I agree. we have been a group for over a year now. If we wait until everyone has been here for a year we will never have this happen...

This is a great idea.
I have a couple of questions though. With pics being posted over a year in various sub forums, will some knives get kinda "lost"? What I mean is maybe a knife pic that was posted somewhere other than the gallery in sayAugust, Sept, Oct. etc. of 09? Will the nominators need to look through all the sub-forums?
Also how do we difine a new maker, and if the KD members are making nominations how will they know who is eligble as a new maker?

BTW I also agree about the idea of the Top Dog award and the awards to be a tradtional style vs a dog bone.

Thanks for putting this together. This is a great idea.

Sean

I would donate a buckle to an appropriate category if it would help.

Attachments

• IMG_2786 i.jpg
    IMG_2786 i.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 5
You guys get how the award is gonna be done and I will do my best to get you a design. I just need to know what you want. When you get a type of award chosen and we figure out what type of artwork is needed I will get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back