1st Annual Knife Dogs Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
Introducing the 1st Annual Knife Dogs Awards 2010.

Ok, we didn't invent this, but we plan on doing it better than anyone else. That can only be possible with help from all of our members, so we are asking for great participation. We want these to grow into a very prestigious and coveted awards program.

So heres the suggested program. Please review it and load us up with your thoughts. We will leave this open for suggestions for a week and then pare it down and get on with the next phase.

The Category Suggestions:
1. Best Damascus Fixed Blade
2. Best Single Steel Fixed Blade
3. Best Tactical Fixed Blade
4. Best Damascus Folder
5. Best Single Steel Folder
6. Best Tactical Folder
7. Best Art Knife
8. Best Neo Tribal Knife
9. Best Leatherwork
10. Best New Builder
11. Best Educator (hammer-ins, etc)
12. Collectors Award
13. Some Special award, possibly a memorial award named after a past maker for charity work or humanitarianism.

The Nominations:
We will have a pre-determined amount of time after the categories are chosen to nominate knives and makers. You can't nominate yourself and we are going to make all nominations from existing photos already posted on KD from our first day until Dec 31, 2010. I think the makers can refuse a nomination if they feel it's in the wrong category and we won't accept knives that have already won awards on other forums.

Collectors are a huge part of our industry and I feel we would be remiss to exclude them from recognition. Need help here.

The Finals:
After the nomination phase we will take the top three in each category and move onto the final online vote.

We have a budget for about 10 plaques.
We will need help on plaque design also.

Let's get the thoughts pouring in and make this a huge success.

Thanks for your support.
Steve :steve:

Last edited:
This is Steve's idea and I think it's a great one. He is calling them the Doggies.

The admins and Supermods have been kicking this around for a little while and we wanted to get more feedback. Well some of us did anyway...We know this has the potential to create drama and we don't like drama here much. I can tell you now that any posts with lot's of drama are going to be killed.

We could create 30 or 50 categories I suppose but we are going to limit this first year outing to a max of ten. Let's walk before we trying running.

I'm pretty excited about this and I think we can have a big time with it.

Those of you that suggest big cash prizes for the winners, we'd love to cash your check and thanks for the offer! Otherwise, it's probably plaques and pride for the winners...If some one wants to sponsor a prize, put it out there for discussion...

Welcome to KnifeDogs..

Thanks Boss,
I'm gonna pitch a special request to our veteran makers to put your heads together and come up with very special award named after a famed maker, living or dead, that can be a cumulative travelling type trophy that would make us proud and be covetted by all.

Also, since we will vote from existing photos, all awards will be obviously open to KD members only.

Steve

Last edited:
I'm gonna pitch a special request to our veteran makers to put your heads together and come up with very special award named after a famed maker, living or dead, that can be a cumulative travelling type trophy that would make us proud and be covetted by all.

You mean like "Sassy pink lunchbox knife maker award?"

;)

Seriously though, is a best collaboration out of the question? I like the idea of it but it would require two plaques. :52: Don't know if that would be a deal breaker. Just an idea. I think this is gunna be fun.

~EP

I'd suggest once we make some sort of progress on categories, half are selected by the Moderator team here and the other half we put up for vote to get to the magic number of 10...

All suggestions will be considered for categories.
Not to disrespect "Pinky" Swanson, but I was thinking more like Loveless, Hibben, Scagel, Lake, Randall, etc.
I gotta believe Big Ern is gonna make some waves in a "New Maker" race.

Steve

Last edited:
I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone but I suggest naming the award after Gil Hibben. There are very few if any who have done as much for knives and knifemaking.

Mr. Hibben is a fine choice, but I'd like to suggest Bob Loveless. Especially since he passed away this last year.

Although the coveted and highly sought-after Pink Lunchbox has a nice ring to it as well :biggrin:

Lol, I like the sound of "The pink lunchbox award'' :punk:
Maybe next year for the New maker award with the most knife maker MOJO!!

Seriously Though, I was going to say yes have a prestigious award given to one person for maybe being involved in the knife making industry more than anyone, or even having a great expanse of Knowledge and know how. I like the sounds of the Loveless Award.

I think Steve pretty much hit the nail on the head with the categories.

1. Best Damascus Fixed Blade
2. Best Single Steel Fixed Blade
3. Best Tactical Fixed Blade
4. Best Damascus Folder
5. Best Single Steel Folder
6. Best Tactical Folder
7. Best Art Knife
8. Best Neo Tribal Knife
9. Best Leatherwork
10. Best New Builder
11. Best Educator (hammer-ins, etc)
12. Collectors Award
13. Some Special award, possibly a memorial award named after a past maker for charity work or humanitarianism.

If you need help with award design let me know I can help out in any way. I have a few ideas but not sure of the budget. I think a nice wood/metal plaque would be real nice and something the winner would be proud to show off.

I will help out in anyway you need!!:thumbup:

We will keep the categories limited for the first year. We can't blow the budget and I think the amount of nominations will set the tone for future years.

I'm liking the response so far, thanks.

Here is one idea for a plaque, Its rough but I did it quick.
If within budget we could have the knives cast from pewter or even stamped from brass, and I would say to have the wood some type of fancy wood that a maker would use for handles.

Untitled.jpg

Man I recognize that knife it was my first hunting knife. I Grandfather got it for me. I have some planks of black walnut hat I could donate for the plaque material. I used to make the plaques for all Rangers Leaving 1st Ranger Battlion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back