1x72 scalloped j flex belts

Grussing_Custom_Knives

Hey guys,
So the other day i was looking at Instagram and i came across a guy using these 1x72 scalloped belts on a slak platten (flat platten with the platten removed) on a 2x72 grinder. He was using it to contour the knife handle he was making and he said there good for getting in the handles curves and especially the small/tight curve at the beginning of the handle where your pointer finger sits. Does anyone here use them they seem pretty helpful!
34ffaad10879b911f6cb0b962d28b369.jpg

Those belts work well for very specific purposes....such as the handle material contouring thing, however, don't try to do any blade grinding on them. What makes them great for contours in handle material (the scalloped edges) make them somewhat dangerous for a job such as blade finish grinding. The scalloped edges will "catch" and the belts will either shred on the machine of outright break.

Personally, I find them somewhat pointless because you can take any "J" weight belt and simple "tear" it to just about any width you want, and it will do a better job.

Those belts work well for very specific purposes....such as the handle material contouring thing, however, don't try to do any blade grinding on them. What makes them great for contours in handle material (the scalloped edges) make them somewhat dangerous for a job such as blade finish grinding. The scalloped edges will "catch" and the belts will either shred on the machine of outright break.

Personally, I find them somewhat pointless because you can take any "J" weight belt and simple "tear" it to just about any width you want, and it will do a better job.

So if u tear it there odvisouly won't be any scallops.... I thought the whole point of them was the scallops dont dig in the handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the whole point of them was the scallops dont dig in the handle

That's correct, but you can accomplish the same thing with a "torn" belt, and use an old file to "kill" the edges of the torn belt. What I always do is "tear" a belt that was previously used....which means I use the full belt to work on a handle, then when I need to work on the finer details, I take that same belt, tear it down to 1/4" to 1/2" wide and use it for that detailing. I'm not saying that you shouldn't try those scalloped belts, I've just found that I can do the same, or a better job by tearing down existing belts, and save some $$ in the process.

That's correct, but you can accomplish the same thing with a "torn" belt, and use an old file to "kill" the edges of the torn belt. What I always do is "tear" a belt that was previously used....which means I use the full belt to work on a handle, then when I need to work on the finer details, I take that same belt, tear it down to 1/4" to 1/2" wide and use it for that detailing. I'm not saying that you shouldn't try those scalloped belts, I've just found that I can do the same, or a better job by tearing down existing belts, and save some $$ in the process.

Ok cool! I guess ill try them for now. I mean 3$ is kinda spendy but i them seem pretty cool.
Ps. Email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back