2 Questions

Matt Gleash

Hey guys! Just a couple of quick questions about a knife I almost have done..

1. How do I finish a natural colored linen micarta, so that it won't pick up dirt? I have it finished to about 180 grit...feels real grippy but it picks up dirt while I'm handling it. How high do I go grit size? First time working with micarta so any help here would be appreciated.

2. I'd like to put a thin convex edge on this knife, which is flat-ground... looking to see which might be better....

use the slack belt above the platen attachment, or put the 8 inch wheel on it and use the slack belt above that? I'm using a Bader 3, and it seems that there is more distance of slack between the wheels with the 8 inch wheel on it. Does it make a difference?

Thanks guys! -Matt-

I take mine to 220 on the belt then up to 400 by hand then buff just a little bit to knock down all the linen or canvas strings that are still there.

With so many experts on here I hate to give advice but I will anyway since not many replies yet.:D
I would be leary of getting it near a buffer especially if you used brass pins. Even a clean new wheel will tarnish and blacken the micarta fibers. At least that was my experience . Now G10 will polish up like new penny....I love that stuff.
I ended up using a super glue finish on mine and it looked darn pretty good but you do lose the "grippyness" of the micarta. You wont have to worry about the fibers picking up any dirt either.

If you have never put an edge on with the slack belt method you should practice on your old kitchen knives first. You can burn the tip off your knife in about a second if not careful. Dont ever let the tip get out of the center of the belt. If it gets near the edge its going to melt off.

if grippy means you have exposed micarta fibers, it is going to get dirty. The smoother you sand it and buff it, the less of the fibers are exposed and the cleaner it stays. Somewhere in there is a choice you have to make. G10 or G11 (they are kinda the same) don't have linen, they have glass mat for layers. It won't wick up dirt so much but is gets sanded or buffed away much quicker than canvas micarta. So...you can finish micarta and g10 to the same grit/buff levels and get different texture and feel.

for a convex edge, the thinner the blade, the more slack the belt can be and you will get a sharp edge. If it is a big thick old blade, you will want a 'tighter' slack belt or you end up an apple seed convex that won't get sharp because it is too thick of an edge.

I take my micarta up to 220 on belts and hand finish it with 400 grit sandpaper. Then I hit it for a second or two on my 1800 rpm buffer with some 600 grit greaseless compound. Then put on a thin coat of Renaissance wax. Works great on all micarta, and I put micarta on almost everything. I use a rotary platen to convex my edges. Tracy is right on regarding the slack belts.
-John

Kinda been in and out this weekend...thanks for the advise guys!

I'll give it a shot and see what I come up with...I'll post some pics when I get it done! -Matt-

I forgot to say that acetone works real well to clean micarta too. Wear gloves and don't smoke while your using it.
-John

I forgot to say that acetone works real well to clean micarta too. Wear gloves and don't smoke while your using it.
-John

John, I'm glad you told me that, because I was about to give it a scrub with acetone the other day, but didn't know if i would melt it or what would happen! I wouldn't dream of smoking around that stuff...I usually smoke next to my pile of gasoline soaked rags! 2thumbs -Matt-

I'm kidding of course! :D

John, I'm glad you told me that, because I was about to give it a scrub with acetone the other day, but didn't know if i would melt it or what would happen! I wouldn't dream of smoking around that stuff...I usually smoke next to my pile of gasoline soaked rags! 2thumbs -Matt-

I'm kidding of course! :D

I have always felt that the combo of gasoline raps inside a grain elevator was the perfect combo.2thumbs

Back