2013 Knife Making Progress

Kephart Part 5

Kephart is now ready for heat treat. I also decided the butt was a little thick so I took that down.

Taped up the clean side to protect it during sanding...
KephartWIP001_zpsa398009b.jpg

Clamped into the other side of the sanding platform and clean it all up...
KephartWIP005_zps27b9185f.jpg

Ready to be shipped out...
KephartWIP007_zps5683eb77.jpg

KephartWIP008_zps221694dd.jpg

KephartWIP014_zps24c889cf.jpg

Also got my stencils in today and will be playing around with etching my maker's mark tonight :biggrin:...

That looks real nice!

Have you ever checked the balance point of your knives after you've completed them? The only reason I ask is because I don't see any lightening holes in your tang. A knife like that can get handle heavy pretty quick depending on what type of material you use.

Thanks Don!

I do check them and usually drill holes to lighten them up as you mentioned. This one's balance point is right behind the plunge as is. There is a lot of meat up front but I was actually going to drill a few to account for the handle.

When I first bought my grinder, I purchased a bunch of different belts from TruGrit and Supergrit. It just so happens that I purchased a Trizact belt (A300) and just realized it. Not sure why I never tried it but I have to thank you. It made the world of difference in every issue I was having. Since the belt is so thick, it kept my plunge lines clean and even. I was able to keep the same thickness across the whole cutting edge (I also tried something else to help; picture below). All I really had to sand were the flats and it was basically ready for heat treat. I had to order some after that.

This is the blade I was working on. I filed in the plunge before going to the grinder again, but am going to try it with a trizact belt on the next one. This knife came out totally different than I had envisioned it. Not sure what happened, but I don't like it. I was still having a few problems with getting the top of the grind to match on each side so it was taken too high. I also did not account for the extra size when tracing from a template and I feel it came out too big in certain areas (brain fart).

The top one is the one I worked on. I left a little tab on the tip to help keep me from tilting the blade back when grinding in the front. It helped out tremendously. I am also getting better at using the bandsaw...
2013Progress001_zpsd1ac7b24.jpg

2013Progress004_zps4c122668.jpg

2013Progress005_zpsf256d9d8.jpg

It just looks off from my original pattern. (pattern used on top)...
7e578fbe-4fef-448d-bc05-166e4ae42433_zps02d5ee2d.jpg

What do you guys think?

A few random shots...

My new work area for leather, drawing, gluing and knife finishing. Replaced the glass with a hardwood plywood. I definitely need something more rigid, but it will work for now...
2013Progress009_zpsbc093738.jpg

Some sketches...
2013Progress003_zps521a38e1.jpg

2013Progress001_zpsaced1e55.jpg

2013Progress005_zps808f5f51.jpg

2013Progress006_zps3b69d5f1.jpg

2013Progress004_zps72adafd3.jpg

2013Progress006_zps61b73e32.jpg

2013Progress007_zps09d13d98.jpg

Hopefully more updates tomorrow...

Been waiting to see that makers mark on a blade. There it is even if it's only on paper... :)

I got my stencils last night, and promptly messed up the mark on my EDC. I Did the knife I made for my wife first (she wanted to be first) it came out perfect, then I did My EDC and the stencil slipped just a fraction. Learned a lesson, taped them down better on the rest.. Next I did a larger knife with the larger stencil. I like the mark alot, but I now wish I had included "Maker" into it as well like yours. less confusion. I worried people might think I was marking personal property, instead of signing a knife.

Oh well here it is.
B15DDC94-06F5-4D8C-AC29-0817078F036D-5369-0000033CC38DCA0F_zps72a26c39.jpg
I have started the process of getting all the knives I have made back to sign them.

Very nice Ricky.

I have been procrastinating on marking my two. I want to practice on a piece of scrap steel first, just in case.

Sorry to here about your EDC, but the picture above looks spot on and you figured out the process quick.

Now I'm motivated to test mine out...

Well I have been out of the shop for over two weeks due to cruddy allergies. I can't keep a respirator on for more than 2 minutes. I have been taking medicine and will hopefully be back at it tomorrow. So I have been searching around for ideas on fixing up my new shop. It will be in the house so I need some sort of dust collection. I have come to the conclusion a dust collector might not be the best idea.

So, it looks like I am going with a better respirator, keep the 5 gallon bucket full of water / dish soap under the grinder to catch the bulk, air filtration system to catch the fines, and a shop vac with a good filter to clean up after finished working in the shop every night. I am also going to seal off the door like an exterior door. This seems to be the safest way to go. I would rather have dust than a fire or worse; an explosion.

My question to you all is do any of you have any experience with air filtration systems? I am looking at the Powermatic or Jet.

My work area is about 10'x15'.

Does anyone have one of these in their shop?

There have been a few posts on knifedogs about air filtration. I am sure there is someone here that can help you out. Speaking of out...that's where I would be headed if I attempted to do my knife making in the house. My wife would...(shudder). As it is, my garage (read shop) is very big and uninsulated. When the wind blows I can feel the air moving because of the vented soffits so I have not been overly concerned with air filtration. I am planning on either insulating the garage or building a shop in the near future, in which case I will be interested in an air filtration system.
I saw a post by our own boss dog where he incorporated the use of an electric box fan to draw dust and fumes out. This is probably the way I would be directed when I get there. Those box fans are cheap and effective at moving air. Filters range in price depending on what your intending to filter out and the size you want to use. I'm not sure about the type of filter you need. I dont know if a normal furnace filter would work or if you need something more job specific to do the trick.
My next concern is about heating and cooling in the shop in regards to air filtration. If I am heating or cooling my shop and then drawing the air outside for ventilation then I feel I am defeating the purpose of the heating and cooling. On the other hand, the air could be filtered and then reintroduced back into the shop I guess if after all it is being filtered.

Glad you posted, I was wondering what happened to you. Personally I have been battling the cold up here in the north. We got about 4 inches of snow last night and the temperature is well below the recommended temperature for one legged fat men to go out in it. I haven't completed a knife in a while but I have a bunch of "in process" stuff all over the bench.

Let us know how that makers mark and etching unit works out for you. I am interested to see what kind of results you get.

There have been a few posts on knifedogs about air filtration. I am sure there is someone here that can help you out. Speaking of out...that's where I would be headed if I attempted to do my knife making in the house. My wife would...(shudder). As it is, my garage (read shop) is very big and uninsulated. When the wind blows I can feel the air moving because of the vented soffits so I have not been overly concerned with air filtration. I am planning on either insulating the garage or building a shop in the near future, in which case I will be interested in an air filtration system.
I saw a post by our own boss dog where he incorporated the use of an electric box fan to draw dust and fumes out. This is probably the way I would be directed when I get there. Those box fans are cheap and effective at moving air. Filters range in price depending on what your intending to filter out and the size you want to use. I'm not sure about the type of filter you need. I dont know if a normal furnace filter would work or if you need something more job specific to do the trick.
My next concern is about heating and cooling in the shop in regards to air filtration. If I am heating or cooling my shop and then drawing the air outside for ventilation then I feel I am defeating the purpose of the heating and cooling. On the other hand, the air could be filtered and then reintroduced back into the shop I guess if after all it is being filtered.

Glad you posted, I was wondering what happened to you. Personally I have been battling the cold up here in the north. We got about 4 inches of snow last night and the temperature is well below the recommended temperature for one legged fat men to go out in it. I haven't completed a knife in a while but I have a bunch of "in process" stuff all over the bench.

Let us know how that makers mark and etching unit works out for you. I am interested to see what kind of results you get.

Luckily I am a bachelor or this most likely wouldn't fly. The room I am using used to be the garage so it is on the end of the house and I can seal off the door. It also has french doors where the garage door was, which I can open if needed.

I thought about the box fan system and might still add something similar for insurance, maybe closer to the grinder. The reviews on the Powermatic and Jet are mainly from woodworkers and they have mostly good things to say about them. They do filter the air and circulate back into the room. My only concern is how often the filters need to be maintained.

The weather has been hot, cold, hot, cold down here. I wish it would just settle in the middle. I wouldn't mind waking up to snow though. Never had that experience before.

I just received some new belts that I ordered in the middle of February so I am going to change the finish on my first two and then test the etcher out. I will be sure to let you know how it goes. It has been long over do to completely finish them.

I also have a bunch on the bench. I am itching to get back at it...

You want some snow? Okay...that's just not right.

Here...have some snow...
this is from Tuesday looking out my back door...

2013Mar04.jpg

I would love to wake up to that...once a year :biggrin:

I think my body would get frost bite within minutes. It's too used to the Texas heat. You know, I am almost 30 years old and have never seen anything like that in person. Seen snow, but not that much.

I'm getting cold looking at that picture...

That is why you have not seen anything come off my bench in over a month. It has been so stinking cold here. I have a small salimander heater that I run for heat, it sits on the floor about 4 foot from me and I still cant get warm. If my body is warm, then my hands are freezing. My work bench is steel so everything on it is cold as an ice cube. Not fun.

Woohoo, back at it!

Well, I got back in the shop yesterday and screwed up 3 knives. Working on the grinder felt like it did months ago. My muscles needed to get the hang of it again and today was much better. Still need more practice to get back in the swing of things but the new belts took a little getting used to and I went back to using the stock platen on the grinder. I think I will stick with it until I get my new grinder.

So, here is today's progress...

2013Progress001_zps0ba73f69.jpg

2013Progress002_zps50497f62.jpg

2013Progress004_zps84df1f99.jpg

Ground the bevels on this one today...

2013Progress007_zps26911c3a.jpg

2013Progress008_zps714481df.jpg

Changed the finish and grind height on the Kephart...

2013Progress009_zps9bcb3df1.jpg

2013Progress011_zpse2e9a6eb.jpg

2013Progress012_zpsbf9e07c9.jpg

2013Progress013_zps27e96e71.jpg

2013Progress016_zps08ca4b76.jpg

I also changed the finish on the second knife I completed. I am going to try and put my maker's mark on it tonight so I will post pictures once done.

Feels good to be back at working on knives again. My allergies are under control and I have gotten used to the new job. And the new trizact belts helped out tremendously. Thanks for the tips on those Don!

Thanks for checking out my progress for today!!

Looks like your really getting the hang of it. Your bevels look really nice. Your progress is impressive, I'm expecting some really sweet looking work from you.

Steven,
A tip I got from the late Bob Loveless was to do profile work or cleaning up flats on bar stock, etc when you haven't done any grinder work for a while or don't feel 100% for some reason. Save the plunge bevel grinding for when you are back up to speed.

That piece of advice had saved me plenty over the years! :biggrin:I still have some "Design Modifications" But not nearly as often.

Your grinds look nice & clean and your finishing does also.
Keep up the nice work.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks guys!

I started on 5 more today. These will be the last ones before they get shipped to Peter's for heat treating. Then I can finally finish knives #2 and #3.

These are two smaller Kepharts. One is 1/8" O1 (which will be a companion knife for the bigger Kephart) and the second is 5/32" O1...
2013Progress001_zpsfabb3d13.jpg

2013Progress002_zps1c6491be.jpg

Here is a bushcraft style knife. 5/32" O1...
2013Progress003_zps922baf5e.jpg

2013Progress004_zpsd2e14ed4.jpg

Bushcraft style #2. 5/32" O1
2013Progress005_zps57a9d195.jpg

2013Progress006_zps6fd5c345.jpg

Bushcraft style #3. 5/32" O1. I really screwed up the holes in the middle of the tang. I was going to put two 1/8" pins on top of each other and they came out a little off. So I tried to just make a bigger hole to take some weight out and it just went south. I am going to file it down to one big hole.
2013Progress007_zpse688afe1.jpg

2013Progress008_zpsc81f536a.jpg

Today's work...
2013Progress009_zps8608a6ea.jpg

2013Progress010_zpsd2276297.jpg

Should be starting the bevels on Sunday.

That's a nice looking set of blanks. There's something about this part of the process that really clicks for me. I dont know why, but I really like the look of a well prepared blank at this stage of the game. That's probably why I have so many in the drawer.

Your stuff looks great, Steven! I'm really inspired by you- You've caught on quickly, I hope that I progress as fast as you have!

Thank you, Insight!

One of the smaller Kepharts is almost ready for heat treat. This was totally done freehand on the grinder. Even the plunge cuts weren't done with a file and they came out pretty close. I feel that I am finally getting the hang of it.

Taking a break from the wasps and heat for a few minutes and thought I would go ahead and post a picture...

Marking the center lines...

2013Progress001_zps0d533ead.jpg

Just needs a little more clean up...

2013Progress003_zps2cb4ef16.jpg

2013Progress002_zpsd01b0f83.jpg

Will have some more updates in a bit...

Last edited:
Back