600 Grit Belts?

I might also add that I've been using 600 grit paper on a disk grinder to reduce finishing time (a la the late Tim Hancock). Plunge lines aren't as straight forward as curling your belt over a flat platen, but it really does wonders to the flats, and quite quickly and evenly at that. Granted, the higher grit sheet abrasives don't last long on a disk either, but they're relatively quick to change out and very cheap. I might only use 1 or 2 sheets per blade depending on the size of the knife and how far I took things with belts.

Quote: "I've used the A30 Trizact gator belt in the past, and didn't like it as much. It kind of glazes after a while and stops cutting."

When this happens, you can put your work rest on with a contact wheel, run your grinder at max speed (if you have variable speed) and run some scrap steel across the face of the belt with very heavy pressure. This will fracture the grit and expose fresh. You can do this several times before the belt runs out of abrasive. Makes the belt last a lot longer.

OK gang.... the mailman just dropped off the Sankyo 600 belts! VERY fast delivery from Pop's!! Got these belts in just an day more then what Tru-Grit usually takes.....impressive! I'll try these belts out over the weekend and see how things go.

More to come!

OK gang.... the mailman just dropped off the Sankyo 600 belts! VERY fast delivery from Pop's!! Got these belts in just an day more then what Tru-Grit usually takes.....impressive! I'll try these belts out over the weekend and see how things go.

More to come!

Interested in this for sure. I've had GREAT luck with the Sankyo belts and Pops too!!

Thanks for suggesting the Sankyo 600 belts. For the money, they are good belts, and do a really good job. The only issue I had, going through the first 10, was finding one belt that seemed to have a lot of stray heavier grit particles in it..... made some odd scratches that looked like 220 or 320 to me. But it was just one belt, and I suppose that's to be expected with these type/priced belts.

belts over 400 grit have generally been disappointing for any kind of life other than Norax. 3m gator belts are another engineered abrasive that last but I prefer the Norax again. i see more guys using a 600 cork now days and those will last until the glue gives out. The cork 600’s generate a lot of heat though.

The cork 600’s generate a lot of heat though.
I thought those were my answer.....but because of the heat, and several wrecked blades as a result, I rejected them for use as anything other then to apply a final finish.

I use the norax and they work for me. I understand it changes with everyone for sure. Mainly Ed I wanted to tell you I understand about the Pupus. My wife has it and sometimes it is horrifying. She is such a warrior and most of the time you don't know how bad it affects her unless you look into her eyes. We will keep you in our prayers as I understand what you are going through. Percy Richardson, The Knife Shop , Lufkin Texas

Well, after the last 2 batches of 600 grit belts being more disappointment, I had a glimmer of a thought, and just put a sheet of 600 on my disc grinder...... it's not a perfect fix, but it is the best one so far. I think from now on, I'm just gona spend more $$ on Rynowet redline 600 sheets, and forget 600 grit belts. Then if needed, go back to the belt for 800 and above.

Back