A few new sheaths

John M Cohea

Hi all. Here are a few that went out this week. The first two are for J Neilson knives, the first sent to me by J, the second by J's customer.
First up is a belt/neck sheath. Veg-tan covered in smoked braintanned buckskin on the front, with the flap being hair on deer leg rawhide with the dew claws attached. The back is rawhide with a hair on deer leg rawhide belt loop, and the fringe and removable lanyard are smoked braintanned buckskin.
Decorations are antique trade beads, aged tin cones and horse hair.
The next sheath is veg-tan covered in rawhide,deerskin fringe,trade beads, horsehair, tin cones, copper tacks, and a stag concho.
Last is a friction folder pouch, neck carry only. Veg-tan covered in rawhide, lined in smoked braintanned buckskin, front flap is hair on deer rawhide. Decorations are tin cones, trade beads and hosrehair, and deerskin fringe.
DSC03035.jpg

DSC03033.jpg

DSC03037.jpg

DSC03029.jpg

DSC03028.jpg

DSC03031.jpg

Last edited:
Those turned out great brother John.Awesome work.Dave2thumbs

John, your primitive style is always great to see. You were clearly born a couple hundred years late...

John, I have always been impressed with the detail and workmanship in your sheaths. I have never attempted to make the frontier type of leather goods and doubt if I could research it as well as you seem to have done. It was good to meet you at the Blade Show in Hotlanta and I sincerely hope that we meet again. ---Sandy---

Thanks a lot guys!Sandy I appreciate all compliments , but those from the masters of leathercraft such as you and Paul really mean a lot to me. It was great to meet you as well, even if it was for a few brief moments. Maybe next year we can meet and find the time to get away for a couple of beers:cool:

Back