A pair of Scottish dirks- -one sambar stag one is handled with elk.

Fred Rowe

This was posted as a wip thread in hot metal. Now that I have this pair of dirks finished and I have taken some better pictures I thought I might share the completed blades and sheathes.
Each blade is forged from an early 1900's farm machinery seat bracket. That made it interesting.

The sheaths are of my own design, I found little on dirk sheaths from the 1500's. I figured they had long hours during the winter months to work on there weaponry and other gear.

The elk handled dirk is 23 1/2" overall the stag handled blade is 22 1/4". The gentleman who ordered these had someone make the small shields [targ] that was carried with the dirk. The fittings are copper and wrought iron.

Happy to answer any questions, Fred

I'll try to take some pics of the buttcaps which are copper and WI. and post them.

DSC01786.JPG

DSC01770.JPG

DSC01775.JPG

DSC01448.JPG

DSC01776.JPG

DSC01780.JPG

DSC01783.JPG
https:/

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CC4I6u4MRKQ/UXBF8Cw9KoI/AAAAAAAADYY/AwEgO2j8oBM/s512/DSC01784.JPG?gl=US

DSC01789.JPG

DSC01790.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful work Fred. The blade and fittings are simple and elegant examples of the
tradition and the sheaths, especially the black wrap one, show some real creativity.

Excellent workmanship and design on both knives and sheaths, very creative just love looking at both of those.

Fred, Nice job on both knives! Both are much longer than I expected. How about a close up shot of the handle on the all elk one......

Nice looking dirks. I like the forge finish on the flats

The finish on the elk handled one was original to the steel I used; the dark one was hammered on the anvil using an O/A to localize the heat.

Beautiful work Fred. The blade and fittings are simple and elegant examples of the
tradition and the sheaths, especially the black wrap one, show some real creativity.
Thanks Dan I think their sheath work would have indicated a life style where they suffered long winters indoors with the animals and had a lot of time to perfect there fighting gear. My thinking anyway.

They look sufficiently Scottish. Rather nice looking dirks.
I appreciate this post from an actual Scotsman, thank you sir!

They both turned out very nice Fred, the sheaths make the package.
Thanks Burton!

Fred, Nice job on both knives! Both are much longer than I expected. How about a close up shot of the handle on the all elk one......
They were a handful to grind. Easier for me with my big hands than folder blades. Pic posted.

As always Fred my friend, excellent knives...
I know your happy these were sold.:)

I appreciate that Calvin.

I posted pictures of the buttcaps.

Thanks for posting your comments guys, Fred

Back