A potential order

Holy cow 100 knife order. Not much next....as for knife making is hobby for me. I work "regular" 70 hour work week with 1 full-time as autobody guy, part-time at gas station. I had 6 knives for 2019, not counting 10 just did for me lol, just make as I said just hobby but I have sold few in last 3 years.......the 6 knives did they were for my cuz, took all of 6 month make them, heck 100 would take me 4 years, I am not as awesome you guys and gals on. I am little unknown guy. I have tried etsy thing never worked I sold 2 on there lowered prices just "make" a sale,,,,lost my rear on both them. I say most of me takes a week for fixed blade, for one my folders takes little over 2 weeks or more this working on them say 3-4 hours a night in my Sheshed lol.
I would love go full blown as "real" knife maker but in real world of life not going happen market for "custom" knives in area people rather go Walmart by a $20.00 china made...lol. When get to point of making 30 knives a year I call myself a "knifemaker" My Dad says "if you sold a knife to someone and got money for it, your knife maker son"

I would be tempted to take it on. First thing, I would try to price myself out of the job upfront. Hit em high and ask for big down payment, see what they say. I know of a hunting club here in Arkansas that is very exclusive, doctors and lawyers and ceo's. They wouldn't blink at $500 knives. If you pitch a high price and they say yes, then I would definitely get the blanks laser or waterjet cut. I'd try to talk them into kydex sheaths due to time involved. If they wanted leather, I'd probably sub that out, just too much time there. I'd probably sub out getting the makers marks/logos lasered too. Batch working them would make them go faster than normal. It would be very tempting to try.

Personally, I would spend zero time on any of it until the client told you what their budget was. They will balk of course since they are "negotiating" and will be wary of being hustled. I would explain knives can be prison shanks to masterpieces and you need to understand what they want and how much they will pay. I've talked to so many "project guys" over the years I've lost count and not one of them were even close to being ball park on what a decent knife would cost to produce, much less multiples.

Opaul, your knives are quality and would be worth every cent of that price. The reluctance to accept the price is usually in the head of the seller not the buyer. Ed is on the money with his advice. Work out a price you are happy to make them for and get a signed contract and 50% of the money. I would add one more item to the list. Have a delivery time table in say 20 lot numbers. That way you get fully paid every 20 completed. Good luck.

Opaul, your knives are quality and would be worth every cent of that price. The reluctance to accept the price is usually in the head of the seller not the buyer. Ed is on the money with his advice. Work out a price you are happy to make them for and get a signed contract and 50% of the money. I would add one more item to the list. Have a delivery time table in say 20 lot numbers. That way you get fully paid every 20 completed. Good luck.
I really appreciate you reply along with the other forum members advise. I have pretty much decided not to accept an offer to make that many knives but I think you hit on a good point. Twenty knives is certainly reasonable and I could do them in batches of five - something to think about!
Thanks guys for all the advise and suggestions!

Back