A Wiring/Electrical question for the group

So I was tinkering with my toaster oven today .. and Christmas lights ... and haven’t really had time to look at this thread @EdCaffreyMS . The first thing to do would be verify which wiring diagram matches your machine ... as has already been stated. I believe that will lead you to the answer.

Another thing I have noticed, I don't believe there is a capacitor in the circuit. If you read the line drawings it says for 230 VAC only?

Another thing I have noticed, I don't believe there is a capacitor in the circuit. If you read the line drawings it says for 230 VAC only?

That is one thing that makes the drawing confusing. The motor plugs into the 4-way receptacle and the capacitor is wired internally to the motor's connection box. That capacitor that we can't see is why having the 4-way receptacle wired from one drawing and the FWD/REV switch wired from the other is causing the motor to act crazy in one direction but not the other. In one of the positions the capacitor is not getting a Neutral (or a Hot depending on which way it's wired) and so the motor is not getting a rotational field.

The other thing that makes the drawing confusing is that the FWD/REV switch is a block drawing for pin-out connections instead of showing the actual pole connections. You can't look at that drawing and trace which wires are getting connected in which direction. I believe if that was shown Ed would have had this figured out long ago. The drawing really let him down. Talk about frustrating!

If it was me I'd probably consider rewiring the thing. to me those schematics are really confusing and it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the old existing wires. I would take a hard look at how everything is wired now, take pictures of all the wires and connections, ohm out that forward reverse switch to see for myself how it functions and make a plan from there.

Back