Another first newbie knife

sagedog

Hi guys, been lurking here and on other forums for quite a while learning from some great people. Here's my first: 1080 and Ipe with 1/8" brass pins. Blade is a tad over 4" with a full flat grind and hand rubbed 500 grit satin finish, 9" total length. Let me know what you think. I have thick skin and am eager to learn, so be brutally honest.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Thanks for looking
Eric

Awesome first knife. Shows you've been paying attention. Keep it up, that knife looks great!

Sage,
Thats some very nice work with obvious attention to detail on fit and finish ! An amazing start for sure. I will make a couple small suggestions though-

1. When working up your design be sure to include a ricasso . Many will say this is a personal choice thing and it is but given your level of F&F on a first knife you'll soon be trying to figure out where to put your makers mark. :D

-That point is my thinking so take it FWIW :D

2. It looks like you've done a good job of this already but be weary of overheating your pins while shaping the handle. This is what will cause the tell-tale ring around the pin. Very short duration touches on a rough belt will reduce the risk some what. Even better is to cut them off close to the wood and get them flush with a file so that a quick final pass over a sharp 220 belt is all thats needed to get them perfectly flush and then on to hand finishing

And finally- This is incredible beginners work ! Keep it up and as they say..... Now get back out there and make another one !!! 2thumbs

-Josh

First knife? Well done!!!! I have had a couple "first" knives not worthy of showing.

I say keep on keepin on buddy.2thumbs

Chris

Thanks guys!

Josh - Great points, almost didn't finish this knife because of the lack of ricasso. I kinda mixed 2 designs I came up with and overlooked that part somehow. That's why I'm a newbie :D Also learned about the pins pretty quick. I'm working on a craftsman 4 x 36 grinder for now and due to a lack of funds was limited to harbor freight belts which don't cut the best. NWG here I come!

Im not sure what to think of it,,,,I think you better mail it to me right away for a closer inspection. LOL Looks good to me.

Back