Anybody use ocillating spindle sander?

Tod Lowe

Heys guys .
I bought the stuff pictured pretty cheap today. Not really sure what I can use it for but I couldnt pass up the price. Any ideas ?

Ocillating spindle sander: I have a nwg built so not sure what I would use this for. Any ideas to help me keep it.

Belt sander with flat disc : This is all I really wanted but he kept throwing in the other stuff. I mainly wanted this for the disc sander but im sure i will use the belt some.

Squirrel cage: Maybe move some dust out of the shop..??

Dewalt router : I have no use for this and will probably sell it unless someone has an idea for it in a knife shop.

Last edited:
I have seen them used in place of a horizontal grinder to get in the tight areas of the bottom handle and around guards . They are useful.

I'll use my spindle sander quite a bit on the those inside radius. Pretty handy sometimes. Found a bunch of AO sleeves on ebay cheap.

I got mine before I had 3 belt grinders all rigged with small wheel set-ups... but I still use it now and again.

The thing that is so great about it, is that you will get your radius/curve EXACTLY perpendicular to the part. :)

I have one I use for grooving and texturing scales.
-John

I haven't thought of that. I have been wanting to try that since reading bill coyes tutorial on it.
I will most likely keep the ocillating sander and the disc sander. The guy I got this stuff from his dad passed away a few years ago and they are cleaning out his workshop. This work shop is huge and he had every tool for woodworking you can think of. The shop was amazing. The lighting in the ceiling was five halogens in a star shape. Ther six of these stars on the ceiling. It was an awesome shop..... Kinda sad his kids don't want any of his stuff. It's been out there 7 years.

The thing that is so great about it, is that you will get your radius/curve EXACTLY perpendicular to the part. :)

I've had an oscillating spindle sander for quit a while, but I upgraded to this. A combination of both spindle and belt.
I use it for the same stuff, but I can get the tops of the handles perpendicular, too.:D 2thumbs
I use it a lot.

$199

Attachments

• Belt Sander.jpg
    Belt Sander.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 32
Always keep em till you find a use for em,lol... My Pops motto.
Spindle is great for radius and grooves as was stated before. that large flat belt 6x48 I used for taking scale off a piece over a foot long in about 8 seconds at 80 grit.

After watching MO and Bill turn out them finger choils/thumb grooves with them, I am debating picking one up myself. Sure would beat using my slow speed drill presshuh1

C

I used one until I wore it out in no time at all. In the end I found out the one I had was quite flexible . What happened was I got curves that were different at the top from the bottom. What I went to and works excellent is an inexpensive plunge wood router with a very inexpensive table, I also bought one of those speed control switches to use with it. I start with a 60 grit drum and then 320 . I operate it at a slow speed. I do lots of curved bolsters. To see sopme of my work, go to customknifegallery.com and scroll down on the left hand side to my name. Frank

I used one until I wore it out in no time at all. In the end I found out the one I had was quite flexible . What happened was I got curves that were different at the top from the bottom. What I went to and works excellent is an inexpensive plunge wood router with a very inexpensive table, I also bought one of those speed control switches to use with it. I start with a 60 grit drum and then 320 . I operate it at a slow speed. I do lots of curved bolsters. To see sopme of my work, go to customknifegallery.com and scroll down on the left hand side to my name. Frank

That's interesting since I have two routers pictured I don't know what to do with. I will have to go your site and check out your knives.

I have a RIGID osc spindle sander from the DEPOT and I must admit, I used it all the time. Tight radii and choils are easy pickins. If you need to hog some scale material down close to the shank, put in a 1 1/2 x 60 grit drum and say goodbye to the scrap. I also have learned to roll the finger detents in shaped scales.

I posted a tutorial on scalloped bolster inserts and you can see mine in use.

They are also great for putting a spiffy hollow grind on wood chisels and planer blades.

Steve

I customized one of my belt grinders. The shaft is turned down to 2 sizes and covered with rubber tubing. There are 2 wheels for the backstand idler so I can go from one to the other. Uses 2 X 48 belts. It works great. Also have a platen that I attatch that works for making intergral knives.

Dan,

Thats a great idea!

Wouldnt happen to have the WIP would ya....lol

Cool2thumbs

C

I customized one of my belt grinders. The shaft is turned down to 2 sizes and covered with rubber tubing. There are 2 wheels for the backstand idler so I can go from one to the other. Uses 2 X 48 belts. It works great. Also have a platen that I attatch that works for making intergral knives.

Back