Attachment Mod for KMG....

Josh, that is freakin AWESOME! How well does it work for you? And how long did it take you to get used to using it? Very interesting the way you attached it to your platen assembly, hope you don't mind me copying it!!!? I mean would you mind? Thanks Bro', Rex

Slick attachment idea there Josh.

To clarify a couple of the questions I've seen.

I use Hermes RB406 belts from TruGrit. Sub $3 each, and they are great belts.
They have a different splice than the ones from Pops, the splice is a wavy splice instead of just a bias cut splice.
Runs smoother over the hard radius than a normal joint.

There are some pics of the water track I cut into mine over at the Bladeforums thread.
It's just a zig-zag pattern cut into the aluminum block, which then has a 1/2" steel plate bolted on top of it with a little silicone to make it watertight.
Water runs up a hole in the riser, through the racetrack, then down the riser and out.
I spent maybe $60 building it, as All I had to buy were a couple of fittings, an idler wheel, and a piece of barstock for the arm and riser.

This design isn't quick change on the radius because it's just not conducive to it.
my first version, a 6*48 had a bunch of radii on it though, because it was easy.
I only ever used one though.

Just this week I actually resurfaced mine, because I wanted a slightly smaller radius.
I went from 3/16"r to 5/32"r

That little bottle opener knife design allows me to mill the bevel, removing most of the stock.
I use a 3/8" endmill for that.
A 5/32" radus matches up with it better than the 3/16" does due to belt thickness.

Thanks guys.

Rex- Go for it buddy. No copywrites here, LOL, feel free to make a clone if you want to.

I will say that although I've only messed with mine for few minutes it does function fine in this configuration.

That said- The water-cooling will certainly be worthwhile as this sucker builds heat QUICK ! Even with very little belt tension and grinding for a few seconds at a time it does build heat.

With my pathetic rate of production this will be workable BUT It will be SO worth it to build a stand alone attatchment on it's own tooling arm just as Brian has done. I have very little raw materials to build stuff out of at this point so I threw this together in a few minutes to play with.

I just used a piece of 1/4" x 2" hot rolled 1095 to make the platen and would've preferred to make it wider so the mounting screws were on the outside of the belt.

Also I started with a 1/8" radius figuring I can experiment and make the radius bigger till I'm satisfied with the function and the look of my plunges

I haven't played with it enough to make a real report other than it does work and makes perfectly matching plunge radius.

I'm not going to be using this thing probably at all before the Bladeshow and had intended to swing by and talk with Brian and Kyle about it.

Joint lap seems like it may be an issue. Could be increased because of the extremely small radius I started with. Thinking that Norax belts may solve this issue though (?) I need to get a set for my surface grinder anyway so I'll be trying those out soon.

I found that running the belt TOWARDS me was the way it worked best as running it in reverse seemed like it wanted to pull the blade up onto the platen totally trashing that nice plunge line.

As far as getting used to it I really have only played on a couple blades that were pretty much finish ground without this platen in mind. I think grinding for use with this platen will shorten the learning curve consideably and don't see that as being a problem really. There will be a learning curve but I'm not anticipating it to be steep.

That's my take as of today reserving the right to change my opinions after using it some more :)

Take care fellas, Josh

For those of you who might want a cooler grinding option check out the Kool Mist at this link http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Mist-Positioner-Koolmist-Accessories/dp/B00065U8CO you can just by the Kool Mist at ENCO for about $80 if i remember right and run it out of a 5 gallon bucket. All you need is an air compressor. I use ot for grinding, drilling and sanding blades. It works well. Just like the name it sprays a fine cool mist on your work area. Really cool for sanding as it keeps the paper from loading up. I found out about these from Travis Weurtz. I am very attached to mine.

This comming BTT reminded me to update. Still being in the design/experimental phases with this thing I'm thinking of ways to mod this sucker to make it even better.

It works extremely well freehanding the plunges in but I felt it could be better so welded these ears on my framework alongside the platen. The purpose is to act as bumpers for the fileguide clamped onto the tang/ricasso area of the blade. Once the file guide bumps into the ears the plunge is done and placed with precision EXACTLY where you want it to be.... NO GUESSWORK !

I'm gonna mod the ears by grinding them shorter so they only stick out about an 1/8" past the platen which will keep my file guide placement on the ricasso even on a small hidden tang blade.

Set-up this way this thing is slick !!!! If your edge is dead centered and grind height is the same on both sides it will make PERFECTLY matching plunges. Perfect radius perfect plunge lines which to me is the ultimate goal.

Here's a couple pics to explain it a little better-
002.jpg

003.jpg

004-1.jpg

Though I'd mention the blade in the pic was hacked up prior to the platen ;) LOL

Take care fellas, Josh

Back