Belt Grinder Should I

believerjoe

Before I got started, I bought a Grizzly knife grinder. After making 30 or so knives over a couple of years, I was thinking how nice a variable speed unit would be and have the ability to use different wheels etc. I find myself figuring out ways to do things, but seems like an investment here would simplify things. I do not want to have an army of tools to do this, but reliable set of things that turn out good work. 3600 RPMs has killed a few things. Always liked the KMG grinders and now the options abound there. Is there one that everyone thinks is worth the investment? 3 speed model and save some funds or the new TX version and try to sell some things and make up the price. I do not have a business of selling things, but will here and there.

My second grinder was a Grizzly Knife maker the first being a HF 1x30. The next step up to a speed controlled multi attachment 2x72 can be a big one so take your time, ask the manufacturers questions and choose what is best for you. You will find multiple opinions here about this topic because everyone has a favorite. The consensus mostly has been buy the best grinder you can afford even if you have to sell a few things or save up...Buy once cry once. I chose a Pheer grinder because as a result of my research it was the best choice for me and I have not regretted it. If you use the search feature here you will find multiple threads on this subject, though I would read the more recent ones as some companies have recently released new grinders, like the new KMG. Good luck and please share the grinder you choose...Chris

My first grinder was the Grizzly knife grinder. It didn't take much time at all to realize I needed a way to slow it down and bought a variable speed 2x72. It then lived the rest of it's life as a buffer. I also had the motor fixed twice and the switch replaced 3x. After the last failure I scrapped it.

The issue with a single high speed: Hogging out at full speed isn't really an issue. It's when you start working on the grind line and evening things up here there is when it really becomes a significant challenge. One little twitch, burp or hicccup while you are cleaning things up at full speed sets you back quite a bit - like a lot. I know there are guys out there that make it work. I also know that a variable speed will greatly improve your grinds - a lot.

At a minimum look at a 2x72" 3 or 4 speed step pulley set up but the hands down best solution is using a VFD controller. If budget is an issue and it always is, look at making your own 3 speed step pulley grinder but going with a full commercial version variable speed grinder will dramatically improve your grinding.

Even a home built grinder with a VFD will improve things dramatically. If you can at all afford it get the VFD. I had a step pulley arrangement prior to getting my VFD. But it was such a pain to change speeds that way, I rarely made the effort to do so. And thus in reality it ended up being a single-speed grinder most of the time.

If you do go with a step pulley make sure in your setup that you allow for some relatively simple way to move the belts. I had to unbolt one side of my motor from my platform to make the change. It was a real hassle

I was worried about changing the belts even on the KMG, so was leaning towards VFD if I was going to spend money. I do not making things, but I prefer to buy one of these and have all the kinks worked out for me. Sounds like the spend is worth it in things just being better with the VFD. I free hand anything I have done to date and yes I kinda like a little hand work to show up in my stuff (that could change). I really like the new TX, but I also want to get some small wheel attachments. Still nobody trying to talk me out of it! lol

I built a grinder using BossDog's no weld grinder plans. It's served me very well so far. Doesn't have a VFD just a four step pulley but with the link belt it's very easy to change speeds. Just move the belt over. Nothing has to be loosened to do that. I'm saving my pennies for a new grinder but until then this one gets the job done.

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

I did change the way the bearings are mounted to the frame. So it's not the same as in this pic but you get the idea.

I built a grinder using BossDog's no weld grinder plans. It's served me very well so far. Doesn't have a VFD just a four step pulley but with the link belt it's very easy to change speeds. Just move the belt over. Nothing has to be loosened to do that. I'm saving my pennies for a new grinder but until then this one gets the job done.

View attachment 70559

View attachment 70560

I did change the way the bearings are mounted to the frame. So it's not the same as in this pic but you get the idea.
That grinder doesn't look used !. I know better , cause I've seen your work!

I would need more equipment to build that than buying one! lol Nice. Looks like the same setup the KMG has for the 3 speed. Belts move exactly the same way. I am still deciding, but most likely have been talked into getting something and using the Grizzly for high speed only work and buffing wheel stuff.

I would need more equipment to build that than buying one!
Not really. I bought most of the steel for it from Bossdog at USA Knifemaker. It was already cut to size. Used a Harbor Freight tabletop drill press and Bob's your uncle. Had a 2X72. I started out with just a few hand tools. I've slowly added stuff to the shop over the last couple of years and have a pretty decent shop. Still saving for a mill and a new grinder. I'll get it eventually.

View attachment 70559

View attachment 70560

Mine's the no-weld grinder also (well until few recent additions, but the same plans)
Yours is a much cleaner build than mine. Nice job!

To answer the question of step vs variable speed:
A 3 to 4 step pulley is significantly better than single speed, but there are times when even the slowest speed will be a bit too fast.
A VFD is a game changer, and the first time I put one on a grinder, I immediately regretted not doing it sooner.

If you go with a Chinese VFD (which are actually pretty dang good now days), and a used 3 phase motor, you can pretty easily get a variable speed set up going for less than 200. I've seen 2hp VFDs for as low as $60, and see good, used 3 phase motors for $50 or so all the time, and even more in the $100 to $150 range. A brand new "IronHorse" brand motor is still less than $200 if you don't want to buy used.

As far as grinder chassis, there's more options for those now than ever, including several plans for "DIY" building, or Northridge just came out with one that's less than $500 shipped.

I'll also add that I used a home built NWGS for years. I made a few mods to it over the years to make it better, and I do need some new idler wheels and axles for it, but all in all, it's still a very serviceable design that can be expanded and upgraded as needs and funds allow.

Did you ever think about mounting a step pulley on the buffer side and use another motor to run it when you want to slow it down.

Did you ever think about mounting a step pulley on the buffer side and use another motor to run it when you want to slow it down.
No sir. I guess there are other things I don’t like about the grinder also that most others resolve and I ain’t that smart. I will figure out what money I can spend and do something. Thanks for all the responses.

I'm going for a KMG. I'm out of the loop of knifemaker knowledge, but I'm not buying completely blind. I settled on that grinder because I could get Variable speed on a solid grinder for about 2K instead of three. During the time of the purchase I watched KMT videos I had where Ed recommended them. So that boosted my confidence. Since I've been on the forums I've also seen people highly recommend a VFD. When it arrives I think I'll be glad I waited and didn't settle.

The ONLY KMG worth buying is the TX version with VFD. The cost of pulleys, shaft, & bearings is more than the cost of a Chinese VFD which are cheap, last several years, and are extremely easy to setup. Of course you could buy the older KMG with step pulleys and remove those and mount the 3 ph motor and VFD, then the older version works just fine. When I was using the 3 step pulley I was pretty vocal that was all that was needed. Then I built a grinder with VFD - total game changer. I had to retract my statements of 3 step is all that's needed. There is just no comparison.

View attachment 70559

View attachment 70560

I used the NWG plans with a step pulley too. I just keep it in the slowest speed for simplicity

Lots of good ones out there. New one to the scene is Broad Beck Iron works and Reeder (which I own). IMO I would get a 2hp Direct Drive, with VFD and 1-1/2" tooling arms bare minimum. The rest of the machine is a lot of bells and whistles. The Reeder and Brodbeck will both lay over to make a horizontal grinder for no extra money (If you want that feature?). You will have to figure out the extras you want. Biggest thing is get the minimums regardless of brand.

Back