Best practice for selling a knife before the show?

jkf96a

I had a guy make me an offer I couldn't refuse on the coffin handle I just did, but he said I could take it to the Guild show. Any thoughts on bringing "sold" knives to a show? When does the money change hands? Maybe a deposit before and the balance after the show?

It is a fairly common practice to bring "sold" knives to a show. Sellers want to show off their work, (new) owners want to show off their purchase and help the maker build a name....and possibly increase the value of the knife as an added bonus but that usually isn't the main reason.

Take the knife to the show.
Get paid for it so you know it is sold.
Mark it sold at the show.
You get to show your work and get paid too.
That's just good business.

t

It ain't sold until you have the money in your hand. Collect the money and with his permission take the knife to the show,mark it sold.

It ain't sold until you have the money in your hand. Collect the money and with his permission take the knife to the show,mark it sold.

That's what we agreed on. The "check is in the mail." Even better, he has a sheath maker he likes, so that's another thing I don't have to fool with. I make a good sheath, but I sure enjoy making knives more.

get paid first. that way there is no miss understandings. they can't develop money problems after the show and you can't be tempted to sell the knife for more at the show.

Back