Best template material?

Dynamik1

I've had recommendations to keep a master template for each "keeper" design. What material would you recommend for cutting fixed blade templates? Tried 1/8" luaun but it splintered too much. Polymer sheets? Composite?

I use Formica or Arborite the covering they put on counter tops. If you know of a cabinet shop they often have small pieces they will end up throwing out or maybe making you a gift if you ask. It scribes very well by the way. Frank

I have made most of my templates from paint stirring sticks. They are free at most stores. I forge to the shape and they seem to last forever. I drill a hole on one end and hang them on a nail for storage.

Good suggestions - nobody mentioned Lauan so I get it, I went the wrong way :)

I had thought about the paint stirrers too, but they are too narrow for what I'm envisioning.

Will look for some cheap 1/16" sheet metal - thought about using the "weldable metal" bars at Lowe's too...

The first time I was in a real makers shop it was the late Mr. Bob Loveless and he had his templates for all of his current knives on hooks on the wall made of micarta. Like Bruce B said, whatever you have that's cheap. maybe you have something lying around that will work?

I'm using 1/8" flat bar stock purchased at a local hardware store for about $1.49/ft. I clamp the pattern to my blade stock, scribe the lines, and also drill the pin and thong holes using the pattern as a guide.

If memory serves me correctly, Loveless and Merritt were doing the same thing in both their videos and the book "How to Make Knives".

I used card board for a while, but found it hard to get deep, clean scribed lines.

Lee.

Last edited:
Cardboard from the beer boxes that seem to be in ready supply.

No, really. I do. Seriously.

DeMo

They also make a good frame for a light box for taking pictures of your knives. That was what I used until I "upgraded" to a diaper box.

Back