Box full of little 5160 plugs... What to do with it?

That pattern looks wild. I hope the welds are all good, it would be too bad to waste something that good looking.

Doug

Brad, My bet is that the pattern is very similar throughout the bar, so there wont be alot of changes when its ground.. Right now I just want to see if there welded right.. I have a NEW plan for the next bar already that will be very different then this and hopefully have a tighter pattern. :)

Doug. Thanks for the kind words. Ill keep ya all posted as I work on this..

God Bless
Randy

Randy,

I don't make damascus (yet) so this is more of a question than a suggestion. Something I've been curious about whether it would work out or not.

Could you make one weld San Mia in a can ?

I was thinking one layer of slugs in the bottom of the can with just a little space between the slugs then fill with pure nickel powder to level. Cover that with a thin sheet of pure nickel then add your chosen core. Then another sheet , then slugs, then nickel powder to fill up the can.

This way those slugs only have to weld to pure nickel instead of another steel (not sure if that would even help though)

I'm thinking the resulting blade would have a slug pattern spine and dark etched core. Speculating that 5160 & pure nickel would be tough as nails for the outside of the blade and have wild contrast.

Just thinking outloud here :)

Take care, Josh

Try some mild folded steel or wrought iron ( folded) to the 9260 or 5160 they are pretty close one has more chromium and one has more silicon . I just made a nice sanmai blade from 9260 and wagon wheel iron . Milder steels and iron will stick to almost anything.

Josh, That sounds good in theory. but its hard to control the center of a can throughout the entire forging it,, often resulting in a core thats off center. Even doing it as laminated welds. If we add the core to the mix too soon. as we forge it into the desired size billet it can become canted or of center.. Steel has a mind of its own under 25 tons of pressure! :) .. Not that ist wont work.. Thanks for the input! I appreciate it! The next one Im gona try , I have a feeling it will look similar to chain or cable damascus.. :) Thinking I will fill the can with the slugs randomly and fill with nickle powder. then after welding it and removing the can.. twisting the bar and then forging it flat. Should be a busier pattern, more random but cool!!

BuBBa! Thanks for the info.. I dont have any wagon wheels laying around! :) To be honest, even if I did. I dont know that I would use it.. Just not my style.
God Bless YA!
Randy

To Josh's idea... in my inexperienced-mind, it sounds possible to make a flat, thin bar of the plug/can damascus, flat grind that and then use it on each side of a solid core. Seems like that could give the same effect, just not all in one big process.

I am LOVING the ideas in this thread! :D

Randy,

Thanks for replying. I wondered if it might not take a rolling mill to pull off a one shot san mia can like that.

Mainly I was curious if that could be done.

Can't wait to see the twisted slug billet !

-Josh

Wagon wheel iron and mild steels will stick but, if you are looking for the bright contrast it just may not be there for you . Here is one I pressed out last summer . folded 1095 and mild steel , clad to w-2 core . makes a crazy sharp blade . I did not have much to etch it with only vinegar . I will make something from it one of these ol days .
It refered to as suminagashi ( cloudy steel) some call it japanese damascus, although it is a sanmai construction . Its 12" L. x 1.5 W.'' x 3/16'' thick......... Bubba

Thanks for the info BuBBa! :) that looks really cool.

I worked a bit on the blade today. Profiled and resurface ground it.. Im still not 100% convinced its welded. lol. Thinking I will grind in some bevels tonight.. and possibly HT B4 the end of the weekend.. Then Im gona test it. I may even take a few pics for you Dogs!

Thanks for the info BuBBa! :) that looks really cool.

I worked a bit on the blade today. Profiled and resurface ground it.. Im still not 100% convinced its welded. lol. Thinking I will grind in some bevels tonight.. and possibly HT B4 the end of the weekend.. Then Im gona test it. I may even take a few pics for you Dogs!

If I know you, it will be something cool .....Bubba

Mike, I welded this 3 times in the can. then after removing the can and seeing there were issues. I welded again 3 more times with flux. I would say I soaked a extra 4 minutes after reaching welding temps.. B4 hitting it with the press. And Im still not 100% sure this is gona be welded properly..

Steve and Boss, You guys are too much!!! :) Thanks for the comments..

Randy

OK so I ground the blade yesterday. I went with a drop point style blade we call a Red Hawk! and I did full flat grinds. a quick dip in the enchant and took some pics.. It looks very unique! :)

Now dont get to excited. Its still gota make it through HT and testing.. But it looks like I got its welded pretty solid..

Spotted Fever sounds better the Chicken Pox ( sry Boss) so thats what we will call it for now! :) I dont think I could duplicate it again..

Thanks for looking and Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads!
Randy

Attachments

• Spotted Feaver! 016.jpg
    Spotted Feaver! 016.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 142
  • Spotted Feaver! 017.jpg
    Spotted Feaver! 017.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 49
I see a box full of miniatures Randy!!! Just gotta use a smaller hammer. Those could be made into little neck knives!!

That blade is spicy Randy!!!!

Last edited:
Back