coolant supply for hand sanding???

Coolant, honing oil, kerosene, you name it, my hands have been soaking it up for many, many years now. First when I started out as a Tool & Die Apprentice polishing mold cavity and now, when I'm polishing my knives.

Like Nathan, I started to wonder what all of the petroleum based products soaking into my skin was doing to me in the long term.

Early this summer I started using regular old vegetable oil as my blade polishing/honing oil. Its probably not the ideal stuff to use (viscosity wise), being a little thicker than the typical honing oil, but I'll tell ya, in my mind huh1 I feel a lot better about using it.
If you're anything like me, your hands are literally saturated in whatever it is you're using by the time that blade is looking good.

I know this is a bit off topic than Nicks mechanical dream but hey, it works for me ;)

2thumbs

Last edited:
I think a spritz bottle duck taped above the blade with a string and pulley system down to the left foot. Kinda like a One Man Band set up :D

Nathan, I'll look into the 585.

).

If you're interested it is on sale today for $22 fora gallon. Mixed 20:1 that will make 20 gal. The MSDS suggests you could about drink it. It doesn't grow mold. I use it for production machining. I've used 25 or 30 gallons of concentrate so far this year. I like it because it doesn't make me or my operators sick (and it works). Got to work better than windex or spit. Anyway, just a thought.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRI...d=15382Pstoreid=1040626Ppagenumber=2631Pmode=

promo code: MWMANIA40W

Nick,

At least to test your idea perhaps a hand pumped garden sprayer is in order. Available at any home improvement store and relatively inexpensive. It would be easy to rig up a holder for the wand aimed at your blade then hit the button and voila. You could probably mount the wand to a board then use 1/4" tubing to get the nozzel where you want it to achieve foot activation. You would have the ability to adjust the pressure of the spray and test the waters ,so to speak,before investing in a more permanent set-up.

If you get it figured out perhaps a windshield washer fluid pump, container, and foot activated switch would be the way to go.

-Josh

Back