Curly Koa Hunter

Travis Fry

Just finished this one for a customer. It's one of what I call the Smithwick, which is pretty much my bread and butter model. Handle is curly koa from a axis/stuff swap with Farmer Phil. It's the prettiest koa I've ever seen, which is a testament to Phil's generosity. Tapered tang, black liner, and mosaic pin finish it off.

134forum.jpg

I've used curly koa, but never with that great contrast. Nice, useful design and nice work.

Awesome - how about a picture from the top, please? - the tapered tang?
J.

Way to go Travis! That's a very nice knife and I totally appreciate that you tapered the tang. That makes you a very "makerly" knife maker! ;) Beautiful koa too, with kudos to Phil for parting with it and to you for finishing it off so well. Great knife.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Here's a picture of the tang. It isn't the best picture, or the most taper I've ever put in one (that one was almost TOO thin), but you'll get the idea I hope.

IMG_3680.JPG

Last edited:
Again - just awesome. The complexity is hidden by the simplicity. Anybody who has ever done a distal tapered blade with a tapered tang will know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for sharing,
J.

Back