Cutting Blanks

Longdog

Hey guys, i have a bunch of blanks I'm working on cutting out and after about 5 the angle grinder just isn't much fun to use.... I've also heard stories of cut off disks turning into shrapnel. No bueno. So I'm looking to acquire a Bandsaw. Ive looked at a bunch on the web etc... But id like your input. I don't Want to spend over 1k, ideally well under it. I will be using it for wood/metal and it will get allot of use even apart from knifemaking. Do ya'll Recommend anything? Thanks -Mark

I would get two,one for metal the other for wood.metal cutting saws run much slower than wood saws.I have a cheap import metal saw that has worked fine for over 20 years,just use quality blades.I also use my metal cutter with old blades to cut G-10 and micarta,don't use good wood blades on the synthetics,you'll ruin them in short time.for the wood cutting saw I would look for a quality saw,I don't know much about the import wood cutters,mine is US.

That looks like the same one I have,20 years ago I paid like $150.00,I did have one issue,the gasket on the gear housing leaked,I replaced it.it does what it's supposed to do,cut steel-and the price is still right.I have an old delta wood cutter that they don't make any more so I can't really recommend anything.but I wouldn't cut wood on a metal cutter,it would take forever and probably burn the wood.

thanks for the advice guys! I realize now its just proper to have dedicated saws for each medium, wood and steel, especialy if you want to be efficient with what your doin. appreciate it -Mark

I also use the SWAG Offroad table with a Milwaukee Portaband.

It does have some size limitations, but with a little forethought it can usually be overcome.

That's what I use as well. I have it zip tied to one of the vertical studs on my workbench. It works like a champ. I looked at other bandsaws but I just couldn't pass this one up. I saved money that I could spend elsewhere. I know a lot of people knock HF and all but using the 25% off code they always have and adding a $10 two year warranty I spent $70. I have had it about 6 months and I haven't had a problem yet. I didn't have super high hopes when I got it but needed something to cut blanks and money was tight. I was extremely impressed with it from the get go. It is banshee level loud though.

I haven't used the band saw from HF myself, but a friend just got one and said it works great. There's a huge price difference between the HF and Milwaukee Portaband. For some, the HF unit lasts long enough that even if it breaks, and they buy a new one in a year or two, it's still cheaper then the one Milwaukee.

Harbor Freight is hit or miss with tools, however some of the things they make are actually pretty awesome. Comparable to higher end items in fact.

I guess this is one of the nice things about forging to shape, I have not cut out a blank in many years....

I guess this is one of the nice things about forging to shape, I have not cut out a blank in many years....

Maybe so. I don't have the tools or skill to do that so I work with what I have. I'm a fan of technology though so I will trade a band saw for sweat equity for now.

I use the harbor freight 4x6 vert/horz. Metal cutting bandsaw and it works great, so long as you take the time to set it correctly and give it a good once over, there are many YouTube video demonstrating proper setup, if you wait for one of their frequent 20% off coupons including their 2yr extended no questions asked replacement warranty you can pick one up for about $250

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Since I forge I don't really cut blanks with it, but thats the saw I use too. I also use it for other general smithing tasks. I drilled and cut (with the portaband) a piece of angle and bolted it under the forward handle, and at first clamped it into my vice when I wanted to use it. Now I have it "permantetly" mounted to a support beam in my shop. Been using it for several months, just bought some better blades for it. I did make a new small table for it, and plan to make another even larger table. I had never seen the SWAG tables before, I may steal that concept, just as a "permanent" setup.

Last edited:
Jet 7" x 12" with hydraulic lowering system. I bought mine for just under 1K
Not cheap but it will last for many many years.

Can't say enough good things about my Milwaukee ports and with the SWAG off-road attachment for the vice. It is quick to get set up when I need it and tuck out of the way when I don't so it doesn't take up any floor space.

I just bought this one: G0640X 17" Metal/Wood Bandsaw w/Inverter Motor. $1850.00. Very nice speeds from 100 - 3600 fps, so can cut both

Back