delta 1/2 hp bench grinder

Rey

I have a delta 1/2 hp shopmaster GR450 variable speed 1725-3450 grinder. Is this rated hp grinder sufficient power for the multitool 2x48 with the 8" wheel attachment? I'm trying to keep myself from getting a 1 hp motor and use what I have.:confused:

One hp is the standard for most light duty 2" belt grinders. You can double your horse power by adding a jack shaft with a driven pulley twice the size of the drive pulley. It would be easy enough to do.

It would also bring the top speed down to a more usable rpm. I have always liked slower belt speeds especially for fine work.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bruce for the info. maybe I can find someone selling a 1hp motor reasonably priced. Or adapt what you mentioned, thanks Rey.

Rey look at grizzly tools. They sell motors at a very reasonable cost. You might be able to get something larger for your money. If possible go and take a look at building a NWG. There are videos of it on youtube and direct links at usaknifemaker.com. Tracy has all the supplies if you can't find something.

Back