Disk Grinder - how to true the wheel?

I just got a bi-directional lap wheel/disk grinder set up but as the guy had to ship it the aluminum disk needs to be mounted. I figured it would be fairly simple however I've tried a couple times and I'm having a helluva time getting the disk perpendicular to the shaft so there is not a "wobble".

Maybe I just need to fiddle with it more but I thought I'd check and see if anybody had any tips or tricks up their sleeves. Thanks in advance guys.

Any ideas??:confused:

If the disk was built correctly, it should fit onto the shaft, with the key in place, and work perfectly. If its wobbling, then it either got bent in the shipping, or its loose on the motor shaft, wasn't machined correctly.

It was packaged well and isn't bent and came from a very reputable knifemaker who stated it was a high quality wheel. It does fit snug (snug enough I have to tap it repeatedly with a rubber mallet to get it on) on the shaft but there seems to be just enough play that it is slightly out of whack..... I guess I'll have to just get it on there and spend some time to tweak it to get it as close as I can and then tighten down the 2 set screws a bit at a time to ensure it's tightened on straight.

:)

It needs to not wobble.
A. return it
B. whack it so it doesn't wobble
c. find some one to machine it true (return it before that tho)
d. probably the easiest way all around is to take a large file and hold it flat against the plate and level it out while it is running. It should only take a few minutes and will leave a rough finish but it will true it up. If the rough finish is a bother, stick some sand paper to a flat piece of steel and smooth it out.

The only other thing that I can think.....are the bearing in the motor shaft good? Is the motor shaft straight and true?

Years back I picked up a 1HP Chinese disk sander for $5. It was new in the box, and had been dropped in shipping. The shaft had evidently bent a tad, and the disk had a slight wobble which caused a huge vibration. The unit was replaced, and the owner was told to throw it in the trash, as return shipping would be prohibitive. I took it home, made a sturdy tool rest that bolted on the sanders work table, and used a lathe tool to turn the aluminum disk to true while the sander was running. Problem solved. The disk and the bent shaft were then aligned. As long as the two are never uncoupled, the alignment will stay fine. I still use that grinder for cleaning up wood blocks after stabilization.
Stacy

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to take a closer look at it this weekend.

I don't believe anything's bent but you never know. Come to think of it, maybe I'm just not pounding it far enough onto the shaft for it so line itself up. I just sort of got it 1/2 on (for fear of not getting it straight and then not being able to get it off again) but I'll check the motor shaft first and if all's good I'll get the disk on all the way and see where things are at.

If I get a chance and have more questions I'll try to post some pics.

Thanks everyone! 2thumbs

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to take a closer look at it this weekend.

I don't believe anything's bent but you never know. Come to think of it, maybe I'm just not pounding it far enough onto the shaft for it so line itself up. I just sort of got it 1/2 on (for fear of not getting it straight and then not being able to get it off again) but I'll check the motor shaft first and if all's good I'll get the disk on all the way and see where things are at.

If I get a chance and have more questions I'll try to post some pics.

Thanks everyone! 2thumbs
Hammerface, don't pound it on, heat it up and it will just slip on to the shaft. doesn't take a hole lot, (maybe 300 or 400 degrees).
Jerry

Heating it's a good idea - thanks! It's not "super" tight, I've just been slowly tapping it with a rubber mallet and turning it a bit each tiime. I'll let you know how I make out!

Back