DIY teacher versus store bought

csalt09

I'm having a hard time getting a dark etch on stainless. I made my etcher from plans online (can't remember were I got them). I'm using Ernies stencils and the green stainless solution. I cleaned all my contact areas and have good ground. I get good etching on non stainless. Any ideas.

First of all, what voltage are you etching at? AC or DC? DC is for the depth portion as first step, then AC to make it black. How long are you holding the pad down each time before lifting? You do have the positive side connected to metal and negative to pad? (I think I've got that right).

There are several youtube videos that do a good job of walking thru step by step for etching -

Ken H>

I do DC then AC. I only have the problem with stainless. I get good etching on carbon steel. I've tried various hold ways, swiping and holding the pad for different times. I've even tried the Windex trick and different types of pads. Wondering if my etcher is under powered for stainless.

It should take the same power for stainless as for carbon - Can't see why there should be any difference. There are some special etching solutions that are focus on carbon and some that are special for SS. That "could" be an issue.

Good luck and let us know when you find the answer.

Ken H>

What are you using for your etching pad? I've only etched AEB L stainless but I get about the same quality between it and plain carbon. I use a graphite motor brush for my etcher and felt over that. I spray windex and use electrolyte solution 94 from Patricia at IMG.

I'm using 440c with the green solution for stainless that USAknifemaker sales. I've tried using felt from Wal-Mart, pieces of sock and folded shop rags. The felt works the best. Thinking of just buying a new etcher but hate to get one and it do the same thing.

Do you have a volt meter? Or multi-meter? I'd be curious what the voltage is at your pad. I started having trouble one day and when I checked the volts at the etcher it was normal. But when I checked at the pad connections it was only like 3 volts. The etchant had wicked its way into the wand and corroded the connections. I also use motor brush/felt for my pad and apparently the motor brushes are somewhat porous.

I just checked and have 60 volts on DC and 65 on AC. Negative lead on my marker and positive on the ground. Does that sound normal?

No. At least I don't think so. I built mine a while ago, and I don't have a schematic handy, but I think I used a 24v doorbell transformer. And, I think I'm only using one side of it, so I would only have a 12vac effectively.

So, 12vac * 1.414 = 16.9 vdc. You have a wiring problem or a transformer problem if you're getting half of the line voltage at your output.

edit: Actually, you need to be careful if you're getting 65vac out, that could be dangerous.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm using parts from radio shack. Ill see if I can find the schematic I used. Ill try a different etch solution as well.

Yep, amazing you're not getting a nice "tingle" from 65 vac - I'd double check those voltages.

If you got your transformer from ratshack, do you have the number of xformer? What type of diode are you using? Yes, a schematic would be GREAT! to determine what you've got. There is no real difference between a "homebrew" and commercial etcher, providing the homebrew is providing the correct voltage. The open circuit voltage should be around 17 to 19 volts, either AC or DC. Also, check to see how much the voltage drops when the pad is down doing the etching. If the xformer is too small, the voltage could be dropping too much

Since the etch is working good on carbon steel, I suspect the etch solution as some of the problem.

Ken H>

Ill double check the voltage, maybe I read the wrong scale. Since my voltage may be to high I put two felt pads on the marker and got a much better etch. I also pressed down much harder on the marker.

I got myself into a terrible etch situation while I went to a very light pressure on the wand. Why I got into doing that I don't know, but that created a very poor etch. I was a log time finding the problem.
Frank

I went full Redneck on my etcher I use a 4amp car charger, hook the + to the blade - to a cotton ball soaked with vinegar and salt. I dab my cotton ball on the stencil repeatedly for 90 seconds. I blacken it by switching the leads. Cost me 10 bux and no time. Works well with carbon and SS

That's way to much voltage for etching and as Anthony said, any voltage over 30v has the potential to be dangerous.

I already have a charger, I might try it to see what happens.
Like I said my charger is small 4amp 12 volt works well try it at your own risk

I also use a paint mask for the stencil, had a sign shop make me 200 stencils for 20bux

Last edited:
Back